Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: High Pressure kite by Bruno Legaignoux

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:28 pm

What diameter did the Best Hellfish have back then?

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:06 pm

My HP Nemisis is an example where higher pressures are needed for kites with smaller dia. leading edges. If I do not pump up the LE enough, it tends to "jellyfish" in high winds. It has a small dia. LE made of Cuben fiber. I pump it up so that it is very hard and pings when I thump it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:28 pm
About half I think. But half the diameter would mean 1/4 of the volume because the area of a cylinder with a fixed lengths goes as pi r^2 and you would need 4 times the pressure for the same stiffness.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Real future of kiteboarding is personal kite drone, draging you in zero wind. Also filming you in self mode and etc.
This will come, next 10-20 years with imporovement of batteries and probably with solar battery possibility too:) And as it will costs event 3000-4000 usd you will buy it much lovely than thre kites of different sizes :) and you dont need to care about new kite upgreads and etc, no pumps, no danger in launches and etc. Bright future coming quickly :)

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:23 pm

That's not kiteboarding that's wakeboarding. Not for me. I also like regular skateboards and think the motorized electric skateboards are like being on a motorized wheelchair. Give me the wind and a kite tks. You can buy a winch right now for about $2,000 that allows you access to all kinds of awesome ponds and streams if you want to wakeboard, it's more cost effective than a drone and will run all day, again not like a drone which is going to need to be recharged every 30 minutes unless battery technology makes a huge leap. Drone-ing is super cool right now I think but only because it's new, once the novelty wears off everyone that is using a drone will go back to winching.

IainMacaskill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Hillhead, Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Reef, Uig, Isle of Lewis
Style: Hoon
Gear: Airush, Core, Storm, Gong Kite, Zeeko & Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Highland Park
Has thanked: 0

Postby IainMacaskill » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:33 pm

a99 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:16 pm
Real future of kiteboarding is personal kite drone, draging you in zero wind. Also filming you in self mode and etc.
This will come, next 10-20 years with imporovement of batteries and probably with solar battery possibility too:) And as it will costs event 3000-4000 usd you will buy it much lovely than thre kites of different sizes :) and you dont need to care about new kite upgreads and etc, no pumps, no danger in launches and etc. Bright future coming quickly :)
Can't say I'm looking forward to replacing the sound of foiling with four props buzzing away like a massive swarm. You might as well just buy a jet ski and sell your soul to Satan.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:53 pm

edt wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:49 pm
Toby wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:28 pm
About half I think. But half the diameter would mean 1/4 of the volume because the area of a cylinder with a fixed lengths goes as pi r^2 and you would need 4 times the pressure for the same stiffness.
More. In general if diameter of a beam is halved stiffness is reduced to 1/2^3 = 1/8 of original.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Agree fully with edt and IainMacaskill, we dont want or need "wakeboarding" which is a totally different sport, far away from the wind powered lovely sport we got.

There is a reason why so few do both - some freestylers yes, but overall not many.

So bring it on, every new type of kite is interesting, lets see where it leads us - as long as we can use the wind, both 5 knots for extreme foiling, or 35 knots for TT megaloops, loving it all :thumb:

8) Peter

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:16 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:53 pm

More. In general if diameter of a beam is halved stiffness is reduced to 1/2^3 = 1/8 of original.
where are you getting that cube from? the axial stress is proportional to the square of the radius right?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:03 pm

edt wrote:
kitexpert wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:53 pm

where are you getting that cube from? the axial stress is proportional to the square of the radius right?
I learned/thought it like this: Bigger diameter structure (tube) has a benefit for rigidity for two reasons: 1) material of it is further from where forces affect ("leverage" benefit) 2) there is more material there (larger diameter=larger circumference=larger area).

Assuming tube has same wall thickness I think this is valid and explains why stiffness increases in cube of diameter.

Return to “Kitesurfing”