Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Alternative KOTA rules

Forum for kitesurfers
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Alternative KOTA rules

Postby grigorib » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:28 am

I skimmed through your posts - you brag enough with your “tenure”, you defend your 5-line high-Y one-off fetish and I’m sorry for first 10 years you had to spend riding some prehistoric junk. 1998-2008 gear is horrendous and unsafe. It must have left an irreparable mark on you and made you true grouchy veteran.
Smile up and be less rude. It goes longer way than your “experience”.
Last edited by grigorib on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:03 am

When it's blowing 30-40 knots and you are throwing megaloops it's not safe to ride gear you don't know. Every kite "catches" a little different, and if it doesn't catch you a fall from that high can knock you out. We have seen before in previous megaloop competitions. An interesting idea but you wanna try it out in a local amateur tournament first.

PS. Here are two things I would like added to the KOTA rules.

1) get rid of "risk". You could be juggling razor blades in the air to make a trick more risky we don't need risk for the sake of risk. Technically difficult moves are going to be risky no matter what no need to reward someone just because it's more dangerous.

2) decrease how much height counts. I think they have it at 70%? Make it 50% something like that. The harder you megaloop the less height you get in your jump, that's just physics.

that's it I think those two rules would be nice, but I really can't complain about the KOTA it's an amazing competition, the best one of the year by far.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:18 am

I’m not looking for amateurs to compete, I want to see guys like Kevin, Nick, Dimitri, Toby and similar to show their best riding because it’s so appealing and awesome. Way more awesome than same old megalooping or ultra-technical wakeboarding with a kite.

I want it to be rider-fest not blown out of proportions sponsor-fest. So riders don’t need to be forced to stand on the podium with fireball harness just so that crap sells (but it was crap so it didn’t). So that Core doesn’t try to lie for months and months after that GTS is a necessity to boost high (while having incompatible valves, unsafe bars and exploding struts issues)

But it won’t be KOTA as it’s meant to be I guess.

What’s a good open-class freestyle competition where boosting, handrag frontrolls, darkslides and foil hand-stands type of freestyle tricks would prevail and compete?
No disrespect to waveriding and unhooked/ramps but just looking for some better flat water eye candy material.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:47 am

If you want to experiment, try holding a small tournament of your own it's not hard. My brother holds an amateur tournament once per year and is able to make up his own rules about how it works. That's how you do it. Start small, hold your own tournaments, have fun, and if it's successful then maybe other tournament organizers will take notice and follow your example. It's like everything else in life. If your tournament is a success it will naturally grow and after a few years top riders will be adding it to their list of places to go to. Of course most people are too lazy for actually doing that much work. But if you are serious about it, give it a shot, and make sure to shoot some videos so we can see how it goes.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:03 am

grigorib wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:18 am
I’m not looking for amateurs to compete, I want to see guys like Kevin, Nick, Dimitri, Toby and similar to show their best riding because it’s so appealing and awesome. Way more awesome than same old megalooping or ultra-technical wakeboarding with a kite.

I want it to be rider-fest not blown out of proportions sponsor-fest. So riders don’t need to be forced to stand on the podium with fireball harness just so that crap sells (but it was crap so it didn’t). So that Core doesn’t try to lie for months and months after that GTS is a necessity to boost high (while having incompatible valves, unsafe bars and exploding struts issues)

But it won’t be KOTA as it’s meant to be I guess.

What’s a good open-class freestyle competition where boosting, handrag frontrolls, darkslides and foil hand-stands type of freestyle tricks would prevail and compete?
No disrespect to waveriding and unhooked/ramps but just looking for some better flat water eye candy material.
Why shouldn't the companies that pays the bills for these riders get exposure? I really do not understand why this is a bad thing.
I doubt any of these riders use gear they do not like. Using random kites is silly. Lets just move on past that.

EDT: I think your first suggestion, but I do not like the second. I think height is one of the best parts of the KOTA. I would hate if it became a handlepass feast. \

We have done quite a few competitions. Its a bit weird with all the insurance and stuff, but super fun. I think the best spectator one we did was a relay with same kite simply because of all the wrecks. It was nuts. Funny as hell, and way beyond what we could have done on a bigger format.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:25 am

edt wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:03 am

1) get rid of "risk". You could be juggling razor blades in the air to make a trick more risky we don't need risk for the sake of risk. Technically difficult moves are going to be risky no matter what no need to reward someone just because it's more dangerous.
Lol... This is completely illogical. It's relatable risk but i would of thought that's so obvious it doesn't need specifying. Additionally, 'risk' is generally misunderstood in these KOTA threads, all sports reward/punish risk accordingly whether you like it or not. It means risk to success not risk to health it's just with something like kiting and especially KOTA the two can almost be the same.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:54 am

a good new rule would be to ban the drinking of red bull5hit

also handles and gojos should be compulsory for all riders, even those wearing $600 booties that stick to their board that like the extra gforces that end up in their head

any kooky looking pendulum swinging should result in immediate disqualification and a life time ban

all riders should wear mexican wrestling masks

kite wise ram airs should be ALLOWED at the event in case it gets cold or the competitor needs a good sleep in their flying sleeping bag

world sailing needs to sanction this historically respected sailing event and ban any riders that dare enter a rival competition

there will be a new catagory for 'legends' featuring the over 50s.. the unhooked megaloop challenge sponsored by Macs Fish Oil Capsules and Anasol

Return to “Kitesurfing”