PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Vote for Dimitri KOTA video

Postby PullStrings » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:13 am
Can't follow simple instructions for video submission means he doesn't deserve to be in it IMO. Seems almost like he's purposely not doing it right just so he won't get in so there's an excuse... They're not hard directions :roll: :roll: :roll:
On top of that ....he's not even 50 .........video too long.......age too old......he likes too stretch stuff up !! :wink:

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:24 pm

I don't think Dmitri's style really fits KOTA and I think he knows it.

I always saw him as an airstyler - but kind of the reverse of Toby. i.e. Toby's thing is doing trick combinations nobody has ever done before. Dmitri's thing is more doing tricks lots of people can do - but with more style and theatre. That 'performing the sign of the cross' he did mid kiteloop in one of his videos was cinematic gold (I think it was crazy kiter at about 2mins in) but this isn't the type of thing that wins you KOTA. I guess its like comparing the cinema fight skills that Jackie Chan has to MMA fighters. Its a similar skill set but still different.

Lloyd107
Rare Poster
Gear: kitesurfing gear
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lloyd107 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:28 pm

Dimmitri is a very impressive rider and puts a lot of style in to what he does.

But he is not up to the standard of the standard of the KOTA.

Not to say he isn't good enough of a rider, more that his style isn't extreme enough.

Having said that i think it would be cool if they gave him a chance

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:49 pm

I agree with most of what's been said. But, No2See, do you really think that "Dmitri's thing is more doing tricks lots of people can do....." I don't see "lots of people" doing the stuff Dimitri does. He is creative, stylish and does tricks most people will never do in their dreams. I agree that his riding style is different from most KOTA riders, but that's why I'd want him to compete. The entertainment value of having a rider like Dimitri at KOTA would be worth a lot in raising the visibility and popularity of the event (sponsors take note). And I really don't care if he's 49 or 29 or 69, he'd add some welcome variety and renewed interest to the typical KOTA mega-loop routines. :thumb:

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Slingshot Machine 12M & 9M
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard
Brand Affiliation: No Brand Affiliation

Postby Xtream » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:29 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:49 pm
I agree with most of what's been said. But, No2See, do you really think that "Dmitri's thing is more doing tricks lots of people can do....." I don't see "lots of people" doing the stuff Dimitri does. He is creative, stylish and does tricks most people will never do in their dreams. I agree that his riding style is different from most KOTA riders, but that's why I'd want him to compete. The entertainment value of having a rider like Dimitri at KOTA would be worth a lot in raising the visibility and popularity of the event (sponsors take note). And I really don't care if he's 49 or 29 or 69, he'd add some welcome variety and renewed interest to the typical KOTA mega-loop routines. :thumb:
100% agree would love to see big D in KOTA
X

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:40 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:49 pm
Dimitri's style is awesome and I'd rather see him and Toby and Nick and foilers like Greg and Fred show off than watching a "try to boost as high as you can hopefully without killing yourself" event for sake of promoting overpriced caffeinated sugar water.

But that wouldn't be KOTA as it' is. We need a better event than that. Something that would feel like a concentrate of their VLOGS and hopefully wouldn't become an unhooked wakeboarding show.

p.s. first half of Dimitri's routine should be a 15 minute talk about Epic kites. Shockingly it wasn't the case for his KOTA application video. Maybe it was not genuine production

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:01 pm

wrogu wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:47 am
Dimitri prolly will not get in. His video does not follow KOTA judging rules, very few landings on megaloops are presented. Video is too long.

It would be fun to see him compete. But I would rather see Janek in the comp :D
Ruben Lenten just submitted a video thats about 5 min long...let's see if he will be disqualified because of this.

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:01 pm

i always wondered - is it so hard for some riders to read the video submission`s rules and follow it?

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Now if Dimitri would ride dressed up as his Yiayia (grandmother) as in some of his videos, that would be worth watching... :D

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:46 pm

wrogu wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:47 am
Dimitri probably will not get in. His video does not follow KOTA judging rules, very few landings on megaloops are presented. Video is too long.
I believe he still has the time to re-submit a 120 seconds video.....here's how to shave 45 seconds of it
( And change the title to.... 49 years old Dimitri King of the Air )

Remove the intro where he's walking slow to the beach for 16 seconds
Remove all the low altitude take off blind... land blind for 13 seconds
Remove the breaking of the tree branch for 6 seconds
Remove the ending with the old lady for 10 seconds

Return to “Kitesurfing”