Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Re: How to self launch a kite

Postby PinkNorthPride » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:09 pm

Sounds like Lewis.. they've had to give this to all Duotone riders since nobody will launch them for fear of bad graphic association. Duotone =Billy No Mates :lol:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:21 am

Awesome video, it shows the 2 ways we launch every day, most of us "experienced" at least - but I still meet many who have ridden for years, and dont know how to, so important to share over and over, thanks :thumb:

Launching in the water is the last option - you risk getting lines tangled, can be dangerous or fatal, you will get a wet kite, which is a rare thing and should be avoided, and least but maybe most important, you will get seaweed ALL over everything if present, sometimes not possible to ride at all :(
Can not recommend this in any way, except if a rocky or treefilled beach so only last option if you want to get out.

Also great they show that the "old" method (#3) is never used anymore, too hard on the tube and a lot more risky - but in rare situations it might be necesssary (havent needed it ever myself though...)

If you use a linecam, launching from the water is a no-no, and having a helper only is also bad, sand in everything - a tethered launch is by far the best (slide launch not good either), and the only thing that can top is a tethered launch WITH a helper, maxes everything, least risk and camera wont be destroyed or compromised so useless takes with either sand or water.

Agree of course, that a helper is NOT the safest, not even if an experienced, as sometimes they let the kite go too early even if you are not ready or lines are tangled...
Usually the safe option if you know your helper well, but not always.

The best advantage of the tethered launch is, that you can use it for coming in when you are the last one, or if taking a break while the others are still out.

So IMO it can be used every day with advantages, even if you are not alone :rollgrin:

At least how most of us do it here.

8) Peter

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:49 am

+1 My preferred method also. Seems overall the safest if you have the room & relatively steady winds.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:17 am

From 10 to 20 knots I usually self launch from 20 to 40 depends, above 40 knots damn right I want someone to launch me that shit is scary.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:35 am

A self launch weighted method is all i trust and it does not require the folding of a wingtip
Leading edge facing up with a carefully positioned kite to the wind angle/flow
Using a filled 2 foot long sandbag....just drape it's 1/3 weight/length over the kite LE (about 2 feet from the tip) by keeping the remainder 2/3 weight/length on the ground
LEI launches safely on a dime in either light wind or strong wind

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:46 pm

3:25 hooked in, walking away from the kite with your back to the kite
NONONONONONONONo.

Don't show your back to the kite, especially if you are hooked in! Keep your eyes on potential line snags, line damage over sharp objects (coral, sharp rocks), and wind gusts / wind shifts that could launch your kite while you are merrily walking away.

Why are all these tutorial videos in 10kn on a perfect beach?

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:52 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:35 am
A self launch weighted method is all i trust and it does not require the folding of a wingtip
Leading edge facing up with a carefully positioned kite to the wind angle/flow
Using a filled 2 foot long sandbag....just drape it's 1/3 weight/length over the kite LE (about 2 feet from the tip) by keeping the remainder 2/3 weight/length on the ground
LEI launches safely on a dime in either light wind or strong wind
Tried this once and the weight bag snagged a line fouling the launch. Fortunately someone was available to remove the bag so the kite would fly. Now I use tethered launch (takes about 1 minute) with the kite in the water as I don't like the kite bouncing, scraping the beach (shells, rocks, etc.).

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:17 am

I use (still) the weighted wing method. I learned this back in the early C-kite days & never really switched to the tethered technique. I don't think it's problematic if done properly. Always make sure the bridle lines are pulled clear of the kite & stretched out so that they cannot snag on the wing tip. It seems to me to be safer than tethering the kite as the kite cannot take off itself when the wing is well weighted. However, unlike a tethered (& anchored) launch, it doesn't offer a solution for self-landing at the end of a session.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:34 am

JakeFarley wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:52 pm
Tried this once and the weight bag snagged
Sorry about that...you probably could have kept trying....using different positions for bag...etc... and perfected it....practice.. practice

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:40 am

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:17 am
I use (still) the weighted wing method.
However, unlike a tethered (& anchored) launch, it doesn't offer a solution for self-landing at the end of a session.
With all your years of experience i doubt that you are not capable of walking up safely/ steadily up the centerline(s) all the way to the kite when it's 30 knots

Return to “Kitesurfing”