Pivot vs Enduro

Forum for kitesurfers
alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Pivot vs Enduro

Postby alford » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:29 am

Wondering how these two stack up against each other. Both have good wave chops but are not pure wave kites. Bar pressure, turning speed, drift, grunt and boosting??? Especially interested in sizes 9-14m. Thanks

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Pivot vs Enduro

Postby edt » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:45 pm

Neither the pivot or Enduro is meant to be a wave kite, what they excel at is doing fast powered turns, so for instance, kite loops, hand drags, megaloops, both kites catch you very well and both loop very fast. The Enduro pulls a bit harder in the turns, and the pivot is probably the highest jumping tube kite on the market today. If you want a pure wave kite, then neither of these kites are what you want. If you want an all arounder kite, then the Pivot is probably slightly better at all around, while the Enduro is a bit better if you want to do some unhooked tricks. These are two of my favorites kites for 2017-2018. I would not suggest buying the Pivot from 2016 and earlier as Naish made a lot of improvements for 2017. For a pure wave kite if those are the two you are looking at, I think the Pivot is better than the Enduro, but of course, 3 or so years down the line you will have to factor in the added cost of repairing the octopus which while improved is still has extra expense and hassle. if you change out your kites more frequently than that go for the Pivot just because you mentioned waves. I ride C kites a lot so for me both of those kites have negligible bar pressure I didn't even think about it. As for "grunt" I'm not sure how to classify grunt exactly. Is that how much power you get in a turn or is a kite performing like a larger size so for instance a 10m kite pulling like a 12m?

One reason I love these two kites is a direct linear feel. You pull in the bar half way you get half the power of the kite. Other kites, are nothing nothing nothing, then bam! All the power comes in at once which I hate. Also both kites are incredibly direct you move the bar and the kite moves almost instantaneously. There's no lag at all in either kite.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:25 pm

I fly Naish Torch's, and have flown my friends 11m (2018) pivot. My thoughts on the pivot:
- Grunty kite with lots of low end power, but think you could lose a bit on the top end because of this ?
- Fantastic boosting kite, and so easy to land big jumps on. It really puts you down butter smooth
- Easy to kiteloop, but little pull compared to a "C" kite
- Slow turning compared to a Torch, and you are always moving the bar in and out. I like the bar but found the depower rope too long
- Kite looks exceptionally well made but the bag is a little small, and does not fully unzip to stuff the kite in on a windy beach.

I would buy a pivot if you want to rip fast and do big floaty jumps. If you want to unhook there are far better kites out there (vegas, torch, fuel etc)

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Thanks for the responses. I realize both are do- all kites with some wave ability but not pure wave. To me grunt is a kite that pulls more than its stated size would indicate, a10 that pulls more like an11 or 12.

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Regarding octupus system, never had one apart. Are you saying the average guy will need to seek out a professional repair service even if somewhat experienced with conventional systems? That much more tricky? Not doubting you edt, just clarifying. Thanks

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 pm

No... the octopus system can be repaired by anyone. I really like the internal octopus system, all you need is some PTFE tape and nimble hands. I would not consider the octopus system a negative.
These users thanked the author BillyGoatGruff for the post:
POACHER (Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:55 pm

alford wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:43 pm
Thanks for the responses. I realize both are do- all kites with some wave ability but not pure wave. To me grunt is a kite that pulls more than its stated size would indicate, a10 that pulls more like an11 or 12.
Ok well I guess I have to give my opinion on this. At one time I took all my kites, put them on the ground on a grid, and measured the exact square meters of all my kites. Some of my 10's were 11m in size, some of my 12's were 11 in size, North kites were pretty much on target but all the rest of my kites were off from anywhere from a half meter up to a meter difference. Without fail a "grunty" kite was a kite that was mislabeled. So a 12m that felt really grunty always measured at 13m in area. And also without fail a kite that was super fast for it's size was low. So a 12m that was incredibly nimble for it's size always measured in at 11m. There's a reason a 10m kite is "grunty" and it's almost always because it's really an 11m kite.

Now other handling characteristics, like how it loops, how it pulls in turns, how far back it sits in the wind window how high it jumps, how it drifts, how well it catches you in a kiteloop those things are due to kite design. But "grunt" is something I think the kite manufacturers like to run an angle on. Depending on how a kite is being marketed, "Grunty", "Wave", "Fast", they will either move the size up or down from the stated kite size printed to give it those characteristics. So a wave kite will be shaded down in size, a 12m wave kite will really be 11m and a kite that is supposed to be grunty, a light wind 12m kite might measure 13m.

So my advice is don't get too stuck on the printed size of a kite if it feels like a 12m but has printed on the kite "13m" just treat it like a 12, what matters is how the kite feels, not what is printed on the kite.

How can you know ahead of time that's the question. One answer is just demo the kite, but you can't always demo.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 pm
No... the octopus system can be repaired by anyone. I really like the internal octopus system, all you need is some PTFE tape and nimble hands. I would not consider the octopus system a negative.
Anyone can repair it, like Billy said above. The problem is if you send it out for someone else to repair it, usually they charge more for the octopus because you have to mess around with the valve ring, teflon tape. If you are doing it yourself, then I don't think it's too much of a negative. I did have a 20m Naish Torch that I was really fond of, but it was so old that all of the male parts had cracked off, and the repair was just too much effort for me to bother so I sold it for parts. I also have a 19m Fuel from the same era, but it's easier to repair than the octopus, so I did all the valves (13 valves) on my 19 and saved it. I would guess you take twice as much time to fix an octopus valve compared to regular valve. Something like that.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 pm

alford wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:43 pm
I use Enduro V2's. In the centre of the kite there is a bridle setting which when you set it to "freestyle" it opens up the canopy a little and improves low end and increases bar pressure at the expense of slightly slower turning. It really does work and I mostly use this in my 12m in marginal conditions.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:46 am

I know how this is going to look since I have ridden the pivots since day 1, but I have had quite a few sessions on the newest Enduro and I could really never figure this kite out. I was constantly getting pulled off the wave, and especially when the kite turned I ended up getting pulled off the wave. I never really figured out how to jump it as well as my pivot....hangtime was fine, but height was hard for me. I get that just trying the kite for a short while wouldn't give me the feel, but I have ridden the kite for maybe 6-7 session with TT, foil and strapped and strapless surfboard. It was one of those kites I felt was never the right one. I did not do any changes to the canopy like Irie suggested. A note on Gonzo's post. If the pivot backstalls, I think the lines might not be adjusted right...like any kite it can backstall if your backlines are too short.

I find the pivot faster turning, easier to handle and ride, and it drifts well. Not as well as the slash, but that would be expected. Enduro seems to site deeper in the window, and it was much harder to adjust the power that spiked as your speed increased. I'm biased for sure but just could not ride the enduro.

Return to “Kitesurfing”