Forum for kitesurfers
junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fatality in France

Postby junebug » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:29 pm

I give the throat slash (or two) if something is wrong. It’s universal.

We use certain hand signals because they reflect what is happening in the real world. Thumb goes up to signal let go so I can put the kite up. Head tap signals I’m gonna bring this thing down from above you.

A head tap isn’t instinctive for your helper when you are holding a kite. In the situation where something has gone wrong, I don’t want my helper to have to think about what I mean for even a spilt second. Plus, does a head tap in that situation mean flip the kite back on the beach? Or just stand there holding it? Thumb down is worse, because it is harder to see and easier to confuse with thumbs up.

A throat slash (or two) is unmistakable.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:43 pm

junebug wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:29 pm
I give the throat slash (or two) if something is wrong.
:o ... I find a stern talking too is usually more than enough!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:49 pm

Why can't this enabling stop....come on people...nobody needs to launch you...maybe you should not go out if you cannot do it all by yourself

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:07 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:49 pm
Why can't this enabling stop....come on people...nobody needs to launch you...maybe you should not go out if you cannot do it all by yourself

I prefer an assisted launch from someone I know (or at least know is a kiter) because (1) it’s quicker, (2) I don’t like the wear on my kite of a drift launch on the sand, (3) we don’t have a lot of things on the beach where I live we can use as a tether, and (4) it’s safer.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:43 pm

junebug wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:07 pm
(1) it’s quicker, (2) I don’t like the wear on my kite of a drift launch on the sand, (3) we don’t have a lot of things on the beach where I live we can use as a tether, and (4) it’s safer.
Not really quicker
No need to ever slide a kite on the sand
No need for any tether on a beach
Not necessarily safer
With my faithful sandbag ways i've done about 3500 self-launches in winds from 7 to 37 knots
Stay safe
We're good
Peace
Last edited by PullStrings on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:15 am

On reflection the clearest is

1. Arm raised with thumb up to indicate launch now.

2. Arm down pointing at the ground to indicate do not launch.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:38 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:43 pm
No need to ever slide a kite on the sand
No need for any tether on a beach
Not necessarily safer
With my faithful sandbag ways i've done about 3500 self-launches in winds from 7 to 37 knots
Pulley,

Got a vid showing what you are doing or something similar in a link to youtube?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:49 pm

One of the best things about kitesurfers compared to windsurfers is that they have a sense of empathy and social community lacking for many windsurfers. A windsurfer will put on his sail go out and sometimes they won't speak a word to anyone. Fully self sufficient, and completely amoral with no care about what anyone else does. Everyone can go to hell, they got theirs. Of course, there are many polite helpful social windsurfers, but their sport doesn't demand community. When kitesurfers start their sport, they are taught to help each other launch and land and this spirit of community follows through in the rest of the their lives with other kiters, friendships form, and there's an empathy, where kiters will help others that they see struggling. There are of course kiters without any empathy that just self launch and self land every session and don't need anyone, not for a sense of community not for gathering together and socializing, not for anything. Cold remote and self sufficient, what kind of life is that.

Anyway that's one reason I like the kiter community. From the very start you are taught to get help from others and give help to others. If I can get an assisted launch I'll always get one if I can, and if someone wants me to land them, I'll do it every time. It's part of being in this community. I have other hobbies where there's no sense of community, everyone is just angry at life and despise humanity. I don't need that in my kiteboarding life.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:56 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:38 pm
Pulley,
Got a vid showing what you are doing or something similar in a link to youtube?
No vid but been thinking of making one for a while
Can be done also the same way without a sandbag using my surfboard upside down with 20 to 30 lb of sand on it 1/3 distance from the nose
That will keep the LE secure on beach while having the kite on it's back

You've seen or launched ram airs correct ?
It's identical ..kite on it's back...trailing edge of kite is exactly parallel to the wind flow/ direction
With ram air you fold wingtip add sand...with LEI the tip don't get folded...you just weight down LE 2 feet away from tip with 30 lbs bag weight 1/3-2/3 ratio or use surfboard same way

With LEI you pin down the trailing edge secure with 10-15 lbs of sand between the center and the leeward wingtip.. to prevent "spin out" due to the wind catching that tip like a windmill
Unlike ram airs it won't lay totally flat...LE pumped up has a strong curve...and trailing edge need to be secured

Walk away at 45 degree angle like you do with ram air kites...tighten the lines ...kite rises....sand slides off trailing edge...kite launches at the same time that sandbag or board slides off

Now Mr. EDT
I do assist all the time...i'm very friendly and social...i do teach how to assist and catch kites...the safest way possible...and boost people's confidence at the same time
Dozens of people not on this forum have copied my sandbag or surfboard launch...even using their twin tips...with great results of independence...and they now help others
And while windsurfing for 2 decades....i always ready to stop and share my time to help
I believe in helping and teaching at the same time...not just enabling over and over

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Yeah I get you. I was just reacting to that Venn Diagram. Even though I can perfectly well launch myself I always prefer an assisted launch. Even though I agree that everyone should learn how to do an assisted launch I would never deny someone a launch by telling them go learn how to self launch. I'll launch them. I don't think it's enabling to do that. It's just being friendly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”