Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:21 pm

A friend of mine has to leave Montpellier, France, to go and make one or two post-doctoral year(s) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Is there a way to kitesurf there ? maybe rather kitesnow ? or wakeboard ? ... or just Prozac and dope ???

distance from the spots, wind statistics, temperature, ... Any advice welcome !
Thanks for him !

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:22 pm

In pittsburgh itself probably not much kitesurfing. Lake erie is 1-2 hour drive and isn't exaclty known as the windiest body of water. The nearest coastal location would be NJ coast which gets decent winds but would be ~5 hours driving at least so tell him to find a post-doc appointment somewhere else if he is planning to do much kiting in the next 1-2 years
Sorry for the bad news!
-Peter

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:30 pm

There is always Ocean City, MD a short 7 hour drive to the east. I am heading up there this weekend for the first time for the national AKA Kite Convention.

Something that I have noticed is that they seem to have more consistent, stronger wind than Cape Hatteras, at least this time of year. Checkout the wind records at ikitesurf.com. Also there is a local shop with kiteboarding gear/experience, the Kiteloft at kiteloft.com.

RealKiteboarding is just to the south on the outerbanks of Cape Hatteras, http://www.realkiteboarding.com. The Real Kiteboarding folks are also into snow kiteboarding. Lots of fields in PA and some snow too. So your friend may be able to blow around despite being inland and in ... Pittsburg???!

Rick Iossi

patoumann
Rare Poster

Postby patoumann » Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:16 am

Montpellier, France

patoumann
Rare Poster

Postby patoumann » Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:20 am

Hello everybody
thanks for your reply to bragnouf. I am the poor Frenchy who will go to Pittsburg, PA. The change of the wind and weather will be very hard for me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”