Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

useful bit "o" hardware

Forum for kitesurfers
bluhair
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bluhair » Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:59 pm

Im sure this is not new but I thought it worth a mention. After repeatedly droping my kite by trying a low pecentage trick that ofeten resulted in my kite rolling inside out and hairballing, I attached a spring clip to my board, I use it to clip my bar onto my board. I then am free to scuba up my lines and untangle my kite. this has proved to be a day saver many times, also it is great to save a downed kite from a lee shore just scuba up and grab the bugger, park it and deal with the lines which are kept tangle free by the resistance of the board. I know this is not new but then again I have never seen anyone else with a clip on thier boards?

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:07 pm

good advice!
which trick made your kite twist?
and which kite?

bluhair
Rare Poster

Postby bluhair » Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:58 pm

The trick was a s-turn downwind while i spiraled my 8.4 wipi, everytime it stalled when it went upside down and droped with mucho slack in the lines, I have yet to make it.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:15 pm

and what for do you do that? to untangle your lines after a rotation?

i'm practising the front-flip to get rid of this problem :wink:

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:17 pm

be sure to follow your kite with a little
delay to keep tension in the lines.

fly it up after the rotation and restart edging :wink:

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:19 pm

Does the kite ever power up (with the tension from the board) when you've untangled it and is there a way to stop this?

bluhair
Rare Poster

Postby bluhair » Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:52 pm

No the kite has never threatened to launch from the resistance of the board, it just stays leading edge down when I get back to the board i have to work to get it to launch. I have never tried this when its nuken. Anything seems possible when its way powered, I try to keep from droping my kite in high winds, I am not sure if I would do this scuba thing if its rippin I have had my kite launch in side out before in high wind it was not pretty,

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:34 am

If it goes in-side-out, then you have a problem, but usually a kite goes in-side-out if it falls too close to you - i.e. too much slack in lines, then the wind blows it over, and in-side-out. A good way to avoid this all together, is, when you notice the kite falling out of the sky (can normally see this happen when it is still a good way up) - simply ditch your board and swim directly into the wind (keep hold of bar or stay attached to chicken, obviously). By doing this, you will often "catch" the kite before it gets to the water, and fly it out dry, but at least if it does get wet, you are on your way to making the lines tight, and thus preventing it from the in-side-out roll...

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:42 am

If your stalling your kite out that badly you must have some serious controll issues. If my kite ever luffs it's hardly ever major enough for it to hit the water, and if it looks like it is I grab the leader line of the tip of th ekite that is furtheres away from me - when the kite is fulling - give it a good tug and your fly the kite right out of it...

You should concentrate more on flying the kite corectly rather than how to fix it when you fark up... thats like a pilot practising how to clean up a wreck of an aeroplane instead of learning how to fly properly..

bluhair
Rare Poster

Postby bluhair » Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:52 am

Yo anonomus, I was talkin about useful hardware not my lack of skill, if i wanted never to drop my kite i wouldn't be trying to loop it in the first place, just thought when your headed fo trouble with a downed kite this little clip can save you pecieous time, thanks for the tip genious, keep up your stellar work.

Return to “Kitesurfing”