Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

O.R. Pyro Drysuit

Forum for kitesurfers
chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:10 pm

Marley or anyone - what's the opinion of the OR pyro drysuit? Need details - what size are you and which size suit fits with/without clothes?

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:21 am

I just ordered one of these suits but have not received it yet. I can send you the sizing chart that I used to order mine, but I can't see how to attach a file to this forum. It is a PDF.

Marley
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Marley » Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:48 am

Reply to size: I went with XL and not an XL guy but all sizes have same nck,hands,foot seals so i went big for clothes and stretch from crotch to neck doing fully extende and arched back manouvers. you'll love the thing, dry all day and looking casual. Big air pants, pffff, big air suit!!!

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:07 pm

Guys, I got the suits in and checked em out. I wore the Pyro the last couple days here.

They are built well. A few windsurfers had drysuits so I could compare to theirs. The Pryo are roomy, well built, and maneuverable. When one of my friends had to get in the car and put the heat on after a couple hours, I was still out with no booties or gloves for three full sessions. It really made a difference. and I put it on over my jeans and sweater! LOL I was very comfortable. It was funny...when I took it off after the day and packed up, watching some of the other guys, and put my jacket back on, I started getting cold. I almost wanted to put the suit back on!

What's nice is I just took the suit off and that was it. The first day I wore the suit with the cuffs over neoprene socks and my pants got wet up to the middle of my shin. The next day, I went without the socks and got no water for most the day. At the end, I put the socks on, but folded them at the top over the suit cuff, and still no water in the suit (there were large rocks and shells in the launch area that tore up my feet).

My buddy who had to get in the car is going to get one now that he's seen it in action.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:32 pm

i love mine. i stay so nice and toasty in it. it's built super tough, and i really think the stretch panels make a world of difference. the suit, especially the legs, is stiff because it's so durable, and i worried a bit about mobility, then i ride with it and it's more flexible than my full wettie! my buddy got his (he's had a few dry suits over the years) and he was worried when he tried it on that it was too stiff and tight, but after his first session he came back raving about it.

the sizing seems strange and the distributor even told me that the chart was off - that was a few months ago. contact the dealer/distributor and let them know your measurements so they can recommend the right size, the fit me perfectly with a M when i was thinking either XS or S.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:35 pm

Any idea how to handle your hands and feet if you do want to keep them dry? I find neoprene gloves make your hands freezing and neoprene booties do the same. Are there any dry gloves or booties on the market or anything that will save your hands taking strain?

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster

Postby ctkiteboarding » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:39 pm

randy where did u get yours from ?im thinkin about a new set up its getting kinda chilly Robbie

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:57 pm

For hands get a pair of extra large latex gloves (USA- I use orange Stanley Paint stripping gloves from Ace Hardware).

For the actual insulation use a pair of fleece glove liners from a ski shop. The fleece insulates even when it is soaking wet but if you tuck the latex glove into your drysuit seal the liner won't get wet at all.

The fleece gloves I have are pretty thick, so that when I have the latex and feece on, It is about the same as a ski glove.

The advantage over neoprene is that it stays dry, fits loose for good circulation and does not sap all of your strength in compressing stiff neoprene just from opening and closing your hand.

My hands stay warm even when the water is 35* F. For the feet something similar would be nice but I've had okay results with big clunky O'neil 5mm windsurfing boots. I use heel bungies to keep the stupid things in my straps for jumps.

Make sure the fit is not too tight or you will get cold fast.

One of my friends has the ocean rodeo and he is sometimes getting a lot of water in the suit. He thinks it's from the seals pulling back when he is getting dragged. Wearing boots or velcro straps over the seals seems to help.

Trent

On 2002-11-11 19:35, MissionMan wrote:
Any idea how to handle your hands and feet if you do want to keep them dry? I find neoprene gloves make your hands freezing and neoprene booties do the same. Are there any dry gloves or booties on the market or anything that will save your hands taking strain?

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:18 pm

yeah, good point about getting dragged and crashing. if you wear booties and gloves and a hood over the seals it will prevent water sneaking its way in. the pyro also has a collar that is supposed to help with this, but it doesn't really go over the seal unless you pull the seal way down on your neck and then i find the collar a bit too stiff, especially in the back where it velcros shut...can rub the neck raw. i just don't use the collar and still love the suit.

robbie, what's up! i got mine from surfingsports.com, but got a really good deal due to their price matching guarantee. they matched the price offered from kite-line.com ($450 shipped). my buddy found it for even cheaper from some place called island windsurfing...i think he paid $400 plus shipping.

Marley
Medium Poster

Postby Marley » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:47 am

for sure the five dollar hand fix is the latex "dish" or "garden" or "Stripper" gloves. tucked into dry suit. I heard about it a couple weeks ago then went for it and it's bomber. budget too. Lots of grip. I bought those tiny little kid stretch gloves for underneath cause any palm padding seems to where out your hands for muscle reasons. Feet: I got 3mm socks in bindings that got alot of neo built in so it was just the toes. socks helping there. Head i wear the OR hat with a helmet.

Return to “Kitesurfing”