South Africa - Knysna lagoon...

Forum for kitesurfers
BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BigSmelly » Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:05 pm

What's the situation with kite surfing on the lagoon? Is the wind steady enough what with all the hills, etc around.

Where is the best spot within 50km of Knysna?
:wink:

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:09 pm

There are a couple of beaches close by to Knysna, both in the direction of Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. Plettenberg Bay is a popular holiday destination, and the wind does blow often, but to be honest, I was kiting at the time so I couldn't tell you whether it was gusty.

As for the lagoon, its often filled with boats and yachts, so i don't know how easy it would be, but most of the time I have been there it is pretty protected, so I don't think you'll have too much wind. I would say better bets would be the surrounding beaches with 10km's from Knysna and then Plett, possibly launching near Hobi-beach/Beacon Isle Hotel which has flatter water, obviously depending on the wind direction.

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:09 pm

I've never heard of anyone kiting the Lagoon. Like MM said I think it could get very busy down there..also look at the lay of the land/water that water is very isolated with plenty buildings and forest to upset that wind if it does come through I'm sure it will be very gusty. I've dived the heads (Paquetas) and would advice any kiter to stay away from that spot ( I dont think you can get there anyway) very dangerous water that! strong currents and beyond the heads the worst seas you've ever seen.

If you are going to Kite Plett the people start on the beach to the right of Beacon Isle Hotel (you cant miss it) the beach on the left of the Hotel is for the public and has life guards Diving charters Whale wacthing and canoe hire so its very busy it also has fishing boats docked in the bay.

Just a warning from now until late October the Whales come in to the Bay (its awsome to wacth) with humpbacks and the ocasional Killer Whale visting very close to shore. By law you are not allowed within 50m of the animals if you get caught they dish out heavy fines! By nature whales are very curious animals Especially the calfs so you cant do anything about that but...but if you see a Killer I would get the hell outa there :grin: Hope you have a great time...that part of South Africa IMO is the most beautiful.

Good luck :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wipirider on 2002-10-01 16:24 ]</font>

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:51 pm

Thanks. Some good info. It is still not final if I will be getting down to Knysna in Dec / Jan, but I will definately be doing any traveling with my kites and a board - that's for sure!!!

:cool:

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:12 pm

You will kick yourself if you don't bring your quiver along :grin: I might in that part of South Africa Decemeber aswell keep in touch.....

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:27 pm

Hopefully by then I will have my Psycho 12.5 - if it performs as promised, I will take it along, instead of my Airbalsts (8.4 and 11.:cool:

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:50 pm

I kited at the lagoon near the mouth (by the island) during summer last year. It is a total waste of time, it is stupidly gusty and i was almost killed about 10 times by physco boat freaks!!! I have been going to a house at the heads for years and have never seen anybody else kite or windsurf there before except for one or two times on rare days.

JMF
Frequent Poster

Postby JMF » Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:09 pm

hehe the The Heads sound like a challenge to me.I wonder when some sicko is going to charge them :grin: could make for a great Vid. Maybe we should contact Chris (K48) afterall he has kited Jaws.....

Return to “Kitesurfing”