Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Directional or Twintip?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:32 am

Been kiting a couple of years now - started with a 6"6" directional, then a 5'6" Hana Crew Twin Tip. After a few sessions on my twin tip used my directional today again, because the wind was a bit light. Found that the directional planes up way earlier & goes way faster - this makes it much more fun to use in inconsistent wind. I can appreciate the advantages of TTs when you're really powered & for doing tricks, but I like the feeling of "riding the fin" on a directional, instead of pushing water you're riding on it, using the fins for control. Also you can point way higher.

It seems like directionals are dying out there. Any opinions about the relative merits of TTs & directionals. Am I just an out-of date old fart?

Simcoe Ace

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnny TBKS » Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:34 am

TRY the SlingShot Surf Morph board. That's my opinion. Then you can configure to ride as a directional when thats what you want, or a twintip when that's your pleasure. I can totally relate to what you are saying...I have skate series for twintips and the Morph Surfs as my directionals.

Johnny

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:10 am

If being out of date means getting going in 7 knots and planing along really fast and even jumping on occasions when all the wakeboard riders are watching and hoping for it to hit 15 knots.......

Then I'm glad to be a crusty old caveman!!!

Directionals rock bigtime...

BLOWN AWAY :wink:

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:14 am

Yeah I agree, around here everyone has 16m kites and really small boards and they just can't get on the water until it hits that magic 10.
That's missing a lot of days man and there a load of moves you can do without being mega powered on a bigger board. The new wide TT's that will come out this year are interesting but I really think you would still need a big kite (big, light foil) to make the most of them below 10.
I don't think they'll be able to get as low as a directional the same width but they'll definately be better for moves.
Thing is in underpowered conditions, if a board is wide but short and without a lot of volume, it'll start planing soon, but it will sink in every lull.
A longer directional with more fin and volume will sail through lulls keeping the apparent wind up.
Just my humble opinion.
Jo

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:54 am

5 of the top 10 riders on the PKRA tour ride directioonals/mutants including the guy who is in first place at the moment.
Aloha Royce.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:23 pm

the 'old' surfboard directional style will die, i think.
there are twintip boards that have their low end just a little bit higher than old directional boards.

a few weeks ago, i saw a guy riding the hifly 2m board (which u see often used in schools).
i think it was because his twintip was damaged or something like that, but this guy ripped really hard and got BIG with that board.

i often considered buying a small directional for fun and low wind, when my wakeboard needs the magic 12.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:13 pm

Today's directionals are the Mutants. I also used to ride a big 6.6 directional, but that got overpowered real easy.
Now I ride a Mutant, and it handles the power great, while still allowing me to plane up in much less wind than my TT (I sold the TT...)

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:28 pm

Never say die... I think the wakes will die. Especially after the last few contests where no one was on a wake binding setup. Directionals will not die as long as we have waves and wind. Waves on a good directional are almost as pure as surfing.
Of course just my bi" assed" opinion.
Aloha R

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:33 pm

Thanks for the input! I find even when you can get a TT up & planing, you need a lot of extra power to be comfortable on it, otherwise you are just sliding downwind & slow down too much when you use the edge.

I am interested in trying either a small directional or some kind of mutant board - does this give the best of both worlds, or the worst of both worlds? Incidentally, how do you jibe a small directional with only 2 straps.

Simcoe Ace

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:53 pm

You can jibe a 2 strap directional by riding it toes down like a snowboard.

What was said about big directionals getting easy overpowered is right, the bigger the board the shorter and lower it's wind range

Return to “Kitesurfing”