Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What kite to go for when you don't know your style of riding

Forum for kitesurfers
fokiten
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fokiten » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:42 pm

toby, I don't do deadmans or one foots, I suspect the guy who is asking the question dosen't either do you really think your doing him a favor???????????????????

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BigSmelly » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:55 pm

Interesting. I have also been riding chicken loop only AB's till now. Then got a Takoon, and started hooking the fixed loop. Only thing is the fixed loop catches on the little piece of tubing in the harness hook, and does not feel to safely be able to stay there no matter what.
Yes the power is immense - something that I will have to get used to.

I have a lot of questions regarding the proper use of the fixed loop.

1. When to hook in for jumps? Before the jump, at take off or when in the air (the last seems really difficult)?

2. The fixed loop does not stick to the takoon bar very well. slides around a lot - not left and right, but around the bar - effectively making it more difficult to hook it into the harness hook. How can I tighten then loop so that it will not move?

3. Where to angle it in relation to the chicken loop?

About the leader line on the takoon (yellow and gray) - thinnest leaders I have seen. 2 people I know have snapped or broken theirs on the first day out!!! What is this crap? I am genuinely afraid that the same will happen to mine. Anyone else experience the leaders breaking?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigSmelly on 2002-10-03 19:55 ]</font>

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:53 pm

big smelly, cool name, I have this unable to stay hooked in the hard loop thing also it is because the bridals make it so easy to power up, the f-loop just falls out, the thick necks (thanks toby) have to flex to do the same so, I can only stay f-looped if i hold the bar with one hand only,witch i do in light wind, in light wind still loose the f-loop and end up flying my 16mtr. 11.8 AB with one hand, the thick necks (thanks toby) can not do this either, so Big Smelly dummie up enjoy and remember, when your powered just slide the f-loop away with your thumbs so nothing dumb happens, when its light slide it back and cruise with one hand.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:19 pm

The fixed loop is nothing more than a way to lock in a fixed amount of power. Sometimes locking the power improves performance. This becomes more relevant as the wind gets lighter. When to use it? Whenever you need more power or hard power. When a kite is in its lower range the power becomes spongy in the chicken loop. In its upper range the chicken loop provides hard power, provided you don’t kill it with the strap. There are no right and wrong times to use either. Use what makes you perform best and the kite perform best. And while we're talking about all the performance tools, don’t forget to unhook when performance dictates it. Being unhooked can allow you to boost higher under certain conditions. Learn to use it all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-10-03 21:24 ]</font>

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:23 pm

nice post dwight, thats right be the kite, It takes time to dial in your gear, I do the bridal thing and can say it is not for everybody or every set of conditions, be observant of your kite and your kite will let you know how you are doing, pretty zen sorry, what i'm trying to say is that your kite and you will work together in time only if you learn to pay attention to what it tells you. this is not much better sorry again,In time grasshopper you shall be the kite? Ps. my kite still kicks my ass when i dose off, For GOD SAKES PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR KITE da da da out.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:39 am

fokiten,
these guys are asking questions, because they might improve whatever style.
if you don't want to improve,fine, do your surf style, which is nice as well, but let the guys ask and get answers and theynwill improve fast, like everyone else, who wants it.

The big neck Toby :roll:

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:28 am

Toby, you should know that anybody can get in huge trouble (I did) if they get caught in the hard loop, I started before shackles and standard action on a fall was loose the chicken and inadvertant hook in the hard,bozo the bar and stripe my 8.4 wipi tru da zone, busted leaches seperated ribs just snot bubbles and pain, You can flat ass rip without much chance of serious injury if you stay away from a fixed loop, don't get me wrong im not anti twirly with your dick out, I just think this guy with a wipi and a bridal can get plenty good plenty fast without getting super slammed because you think anybody on less than 18 mtrs is a pussy if he has a bridal, be real you may have to tight a collar, loosen up!!!

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:58 am

On 2002-10-03 15:04, BLOWN AWAY wrote:
Is it true that the Wipika Bars don't have a fixed loop on them?? I noticed that on the Wipika bars that a couple of guys use at my local beaches.... no fixed loop.... just twist grip chicken style....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:
The 2002 airblast my friends roomate got came this way - no fixed loop

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:52 am

Rob (fokiten), I don't know your problem.
Where did Ã

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:29 am

[quote]
On 2002-10-04 08:52, Toby wrote:
Rob (fokiten), I don't know your problem.
Where did Ã

Return to “Kitesurfing”