Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

transitioning from bindings to foot straps

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:24 pm

I have been hearing a lot about the wave tray but no one rides them here in PR. Does this board float more than a JL custom? Would a 137 WT be about the same as a vulcan II 137? Or should I go a little bigger? What about ordering one by mail? Anybody have any suggestions? Anyone selling one used? Can you really change from foot straps to bindings without changing the fins and no problem?

As previously posted I weigh 185 (6'1"). I am itching to get my hands on a board that I really like.

What size board would an advanced rider of my size ride in a Wave tray?

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:27 pm

Of course you need pressure on the heel to edge. I did not mean to imply that you should put pressure on your toes in order to edge more effectively.

What I was trying to say was that with straps you can more quickly get your weight out over the rail than with bindings because you can shift your weight from the ankle rather than from you knees.

With bindings you ankles are effectively locked in perpendicular to the board. To edge well you need to bend at the knees in order to get your weight out over the rail. Since you are shifting your weight from a point so high above the board and the distance you can shift your weight is shorter, you can't edge as effectively.

With straps you bend at the ankle, your weight shifts farther over the rail with less effort so edging is easier.

To test my theory, try using bindings mounted centered on your board and see how hard it is to edge. I agree that this in not the best place to mount bindings but this is only a test. Afterwards mount a pair of strap plates so that your feet are in the exact same position as they were with the bindings: it will be much easier to edge with the straps.

On 2002-10-04 17:54, bigair from Michigan wrote:
...try to quickly point your toes like you are leaning way back to get your weight as far as possible over the rail."

Pointing your toes puts pressure on the downwind side of the board and releases pressure on the heel side, that is exactly what you don't want to do in a gust when overpowered. Whether it's straps or bindings your edging and upwind ability is greatly increased by moving your heel position toward the upwind side of the board

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Sun Oct 06, 2002 3:23 am

On 2002-10-05 17:24, Anonymous wrote:
I have been hearing a lot about the wave tray but no one rides them here in PR. Does this board float more than a JL custom? Would a 137 WT be about the same as a vulcan II 137? Or should I go a little bigger? What about ordering one by mail? Anybody have any suggestions? Anyone selling one used? Can you really change from foot straps to bindings without changing the fins and no problem?

As previously posted I weigh 185 (6'1"). I am itching to get my hands on a board that I really like.

What size board would an advanced rider of my size ride in a Wave tray?
The kite shop in my town just shipped one to PR last week. contact http://www.blowinginthewind.com and ask who he sold it to. Maybe you can bum a ride.

Because you are used to short boards, I'd get a custom 142 built 15" wide. That has been a popular custom size.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-10-06 04:24 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:48 am

Royce it sounds like you need to learn to edge your board a litlle more then you will learn what happens to a kite with alot of backpressure on a board. On a good board ie an underground wt 147 you will pull the kite further up into the window thus allowing you to hold a big kite in more wind. Try it its fun

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:26 pm

Again I go back to the PKRA top 10. 5 of them are riding directionals that are bigger than 4'8". None of them weigh more than 190. The Brazil contest is looking like a wash so this years world champ will be A directional rider on a 4'8" mutant board. He weighs 170lbs and holds a bigger kite than most of the bigger competitors on small twin tips.Every time the wind was light this year and Martin Rode his small tts he before the finals to a directional. Even in Cabarette where he was powered on a 14 he lost to a directional rider on a 12. Small board does not mean bigger kite. Tail and rail and fin is the key. Board size is a matter of preference only. Also I will point out that almost every kite brand seems to have a magical size between 12 and 14. Do you want to be riding your 140 with a 16 or 18m trying to beat a guy equally powered on a 12 or 14? Like I always say there is a perfect board for every rider they just have to find it. Try everything you can, personally I like a board that never comes off the edge and goes fast. I hate the sliding feeling that I get on a twin tip Yes even your magical wavetray. The only board I rode and liked but thought was too small was an Alex Aguerra 145. I weigh 170. Ride a 4'10" directional and my usual kite size is fully powrered 12 m kite. Have a look around at the next big contest and you will see alot of guys riding bigger boards. Everyones favourite is fully powered on a small board and flat water. Reality not many of us get that. Big guy...bigger board. Small guy smaller board. Flash 180lbs 5'2. Robbie 175lbs 5'. Mark shinn 175,(2002) champ 4'8. Jeff tobias 180lbs 4'9"', Will James 4'8,Frans Orly 160lbs 148. Ryan Rawson 4'8.Stav Niarchos 16 yrs old 135lbs rides a 135 x 13.75 in high winds( thats 50lbs lighter than the guy you just reccomende a 137 to?),Max Bo 190 5'2. Sky sloback 145 TT 160lbs, Chuck Patterson 148.Chris Gilbert 140 wake high winds. Elliot Leboe 142Wake High wind.Mauricio Abreau 138 Wake. Weighs 150. Adam Koch 4'6 weighs 160.
These are guys who sail every day, have all the sizes of kite so are never underpowered, compete all over the world in all conditions. No one heavy rides small boards its a fact. Show up to compete on a little board you are dying in the light conditions. To reccomend to someone a 137 Wake style to learn how to use footstraps is crazy, unless it blows a gale there every day. If you weigh 180 or more and ride a samller board than these guys who are light then your board is too small unless you have strong winds every time you sail. Go to a contest and look at what the big guys ride and you will be surprised. If you weigh 185 or more don't handicap yourself with a small board because someone says small is in. Small for small guys, bigger for bigger guys. Small for high wind..bigger for light wind. There may be a handful of guys that compete on little wee boards but there is alot more who ride 145-155 and the bigger guys are over 155 up to 5'4 with floatation. Small for the average rider is a disadvantage.Again just my opinion.
PS to the guy who thinks I need more lessons.... got any tips on how to edge my board better?
Try em before you buy em and don't go too small.
Aloha R

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Royce on 2002-10-06 18:35 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:08 pm

Mark Shinn rides customs most of the time, and likes 4'11'' and bigger best, shorter is too small for him.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:53 pm

Except in Cabarette where he rode a total prdution.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:25 pm

Royce and Dwight,

Thanks much for the good info. If anybody else disagrees with Royce about going bigger and thinks that smaller is better, I'd like to hear why. I am trying to gather as much info as possible before I buy.

Also, why is Brazil now a wash?

Bryan

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:10 pm

On 2002-10-08 18:25, Anonymous wrote:
Royce and Dwight,

Thanks much for the good info. If anybody else disagrees with Royce about going bigger and thinks that smaller is better, I'd like to hear why. I am trying to gather as much info as possible before I buy.

Also, why is Brazil now a wash?

Bryan
I rode really small boards 2 years ago. 140 x 13 3/4 wide. When I finally went back to a bigger board, I was shocked at how much steadier the wind felt. Yeah, you can ride small, but why bother.

Bryan
Medium Poster

Postby Bryan » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:31 pm

Dwight,

Just Called Blowininthewind and they thought it was sent to the DR not PR.
Thanks though.

Bryan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bryan on 2002-10-08 20:32 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”