Forum for kitesurfers
prankster
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby prankster » Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:23 am

well, I will try to reply:

1. the report is not biased. I am Andoni from Windysite.com, true, but that's not the question now. The fact is that I have the chance to try gear before many others and I LOVE to share my experience to all those out there. And for those who are going to purchase these expensive toys, I might be helping not to make the wrong choice. That's all. I am a passionate kiteboarder over a kiteshop owner.

About wind Range, the Rhino 14 has more or less the same wind range than an AB 2002 or an X2 16. When you are way overpowered it is easier to keep in control with an X2 14 than with a Rhino 14. The Rhino pulls through it's entire wind range. The X2 behaves sweeter when overpowered but offers less lift when not fully powered. Again, it is a matter of style.
One difference between the X2 and the Rhino is what you can do to get air from them: if you are flying the X2 low and you want to jump you can pull on your back hand and let the kite go up fast, as you can keep the rail as the kite moves up. You can not do this on the Rhino. The kite will send you straight downwind, it offers pretty much sudden power! You have to fly it up in the window and then, a short turn up and pop! you are high in the air. I will not stop saying that it is a matter of style. Not worse, not better, just different, and both kites are way better than any 2002 high performance kite.

Cheers,

Andoni

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:31 pm

everyone says the X2 is not for light wind, but if you can use it from 10 knots, jump at 12 kts, doesn't that make it a light wind kite? Blownaway, weren't you using your 12m for 'light winds' the other day? sub 10 knots?

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:23 am

I only have a 12m x2. When it is marginal more like 14 knots than 15-23 you can get on the plane with it quickly using very fast up and down turns. Once on the plane it is ok because there is obvioulsy much less friction - a wider TT board 40CM plus helps too. I prefer it to a large kite in light winds for small wakestyle stuff---- until it comes to getting some good hang time in light winds....
boardian

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:53 am

true, even in light wind you can get good pop for wakestyle moves, and practise new stuff easily..

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:02 am

On 2002-10-08 21:31, aklbob wrote:
everyone says the X2 is not for light wind, but if you can use it from 10 knots, jump at 12 kts, doesn't that make it a light wind kite? Blownaway, weren't you using your 12m for 'light winds' the other day? sub 10 knots?
In the gusts that was more than 10 knots and I wasn't exactly ripping upwind either. I can get going in 10 knots with my 12m X2 but it involves a fair amount of walking back upwind..... same as with my ARX.

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:04 am

On 2002-10-09 03:53, aklbob wrote:
true, even in light wind you can get good pop for wakestyle moves, and practise new stuff easily..
Yeah popping's great for moves etc.....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Return to “Kitesurfing”