Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Home made light wind board?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:29 pm

Hey anyone ever tried making a light wind board from a windsurf board? I have an old 265cm and was thinking of trying it just for kicks and maybe getting out in LIGHT wind cruising.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:33 pm

just try it in flat water.
you don't need footstraps for such a big board.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:36 pm

No footstraps? will I still be able to lean back to get upwind? or is it a balance thing?

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:42 pm

just try to place your feet right beside the footstraps on a big directional - it works.

you don't need the footstraps when not jumping or powered up to the max. waterstart's tricky (beachstart more easy) but works, too.

in powerzone II you can see a guy standing on a bodyboard.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:42 pm

For light wind crusing you could make one out of wood or samwich hy dens foam between thin ply wood, set your rocker in the lam prosses,nice feature is if it dont seem right grind it with belt sander repaint and you be a board r&d man, we built many boards here they alll work,just some better than others,,try it its cheep and educational.

kitesmurf
Rare Poster

Postby kitesmurf » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:39 pm

I also am wondering if anyone tried it. Went out today on a 1.50 m woody. I had to move my kite a lot and I thougt I just need more volume. This f2 thommen 2.54 m is in the bargain crying for being heavily neglected this and next.

Main question can you keep hight (is this the right term??)

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:31 am

the term your looking for maybe freeboard ie. how high the top o the board is above the water, You have an excellent chance of distroying the F2 and not having a good kite board, get hy density foam no water logging and start fresh, using existing w-board sound good but youll have major issues with shape freeboard etc. give it to a poor w-surfer and build from scrach, or whatever you feel lucky doing............

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:07 am

Try a longboard, unless there are waves obviously
Jo

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:27 pm

On 2002-10-07 22:42, fokiten wrote:
For light wind crusing you could make one out of wood or samwich hy dens foam between thin ply wood, set your rocker in the lam prosses,nice feature is if it dont seem right grind it with belt sander repaint and you be a board r&d man, we built many boards here they alll work,just some better than others,,try it its cheep and educational.
So are you talking about the same building proces making a plywood board. Putting 3 or 4 layers of thin plywood together? But now you use foam for the middle layer?

If that's the case I don't know what kind of foam you use. Is an example available on the internet?

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:33 pm

see

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boardbuilding/

for links, examples, and discussion on boardbuilding. nearly all of the discussion is about kiteboards.

Return to “Kitesurfing”