All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:29 pm 
I'm going to Bermuda the last week of October does anybody know how are wind cond. in that period?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:41 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

just saw a movie yesterday playing on Bermuda.
They had nice winds, but have no idea, when.

But it looked so beautiful, so wishing you lots of winds and many days out on the water!

Toby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:45 pm 
I wish too man!Come on Bermuda locals let me hear your voice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:59 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I've never been to Bermuda myself but suspect that they enjoy winds from cold fronts sweeping down from the NW. These fronts normally come along one to two times per week. Kyle is influencing wx there currently but the forecast for the coming week looks pretty good at:

http://www.weather.bm/marine.shtml

More at:

http://www.rccbermuda.bm/bdawxlinks.htm

In theory, the tropical depressions MAY cool down a bit by then but time will tell. If not, some could head up that way. If so, watch out for those squalls!

Have a good trip,
Rick Iossi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:29 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Bermuda rocks. Send me an e-mail and Ill give you an e-mail of a kitesurfer there to get hold of. He is an Olympic Tornado sailor..I think he won some meadals so he knows the weather there.
Aloha Royce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:31 pm 
Hey Royce I mailed you but you didn't answer anyway my mail is madcowboyit@yahoo.it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:51 am 
hi mate
i actually live in Bermuda (im an aussie) and have been making these very same enquiries only today.
The winds are currently very light with the best times/strongest winds being between feb-march.
Ive just circumnavigated bermuda looking for beaches suitable for kitesurfing and have found them to be small (30-80 metres in length/ Elbow beach is the longest;600-900mtres long at a guess. All beaches are fully patronised during the summer.And empty during the winter.I personally would not like to launch my kite (during summer) and then have it (the kite)accidently shoot up the ass of some burly Bermudian. Simply and only because we are trying to share the same 30-80 metre stretch of beach........give this some thought !!!!!!!!!

The 'sounds' which you will see on the map can be rather sheltered ie from the wind, and difficult to enter.....water launches here ONLY as they are virtually surrounded by rock....almost like a pool if you like!!!!!!.Having said this, i was talking to a windsurfer today and he said sometimes the winds get up to 18-20 knots at various points around the island.

Mate,take my input with a grain of salt...it is likely to be slightly invalid or totally. But i am currently about to purchase some gear to kitesurf here.........so!!!!!
cheers big ears
shane
feel free to email me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:42 am 
Very Frequent Poster

i tried once to kitesurf in bermuda. it was by the scuba shack in the bay near the airport. there was quite a bit of wind, but the beach was tiny and it was super gusty due to a small, tree-laden rocky island directly upwind. i wasn't able to keep the kite up reliably enough to make the really tough upwind reach to get out beyond a jetty and into the bay.

bermuda is a lovely place with incredible turquoise water and it does get nice steady wind in many places since it's out in the middle of the atlantic ocean. but, it's a big coral island so there aren't so many beaches and the ones they have tend to be on the open ocean side (rough water, especially when the wind is up), and they're mostly pretty small so there's not much room for error. and as mentioned way too highly populated in season.

i asked around and (last year) there was one guy kiting there. i think he was the owner of a windsurf shop there. he was mostly just doing boat launches for the above reasons. i assume you'll rent a scooter there so follow these directions to find some folks who will probably be able to help you track this guy down...

if you're coming from st. george (if not, check a map and try to reverse the directions), follow the main road past the airport and over the bridges (these bays often host windsurfers and that's where i was trying to kite), just past the bridge you'll find an uphill right-hand curve that goes past a gas station on your right. just past the gas station is a road that enters a resort, take that road and follow it all the way in and down to the water. there's a scuba/watersports shack there with some cool people. they should be able to at least point you in the right direction.

good luck!

[ 8 posts ]