All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:40 am 
Rare Poster

Having a flick through the postings on this group, I've noticed that a large number are of the 'which kite should I buy' nature, followed by various rantings about the relative merits of selected bits of kit. Even more interesting is the way a kiteshop owner may get 'gunned down' for giving an opinion with a website address at the bottom.

Do we think they don't know what they're talking about? They must have access to a larger range of gear than the majority of us and are likely to be experienced kitesurfers too.

On the flipside though, the punters (us) need a better way of choosing our gear than listening to the informed (or otherwise) opinions on a site like this. A quick spin on the beach with someone's new kite doesn't tell you much. We need proper demo gear to hire or buy for a week, sale or return purchasing, demo days at the beach etc. How are you supposed to know how to spend a large wedge of cash without being able to try them out first?

So come on dealers, distributors, kite companies, get it together and give us a chance to buy the right thing first time. Lets stop fishing in the dark.

ps I'm looking for a new kite ......

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
On 2002-10-08 12:40, bayboards wrote:
Having a flick through the postings on this group, I've noticed that a large number are of the 'which kite should I buy' nature, followed by various rantings about the relative merits of selected bits of kit.

Yep, that's why I enjoy chatting about gear. I used to live where I couldn't try it first. Now I live where I can, so I enjoy sharing my experiences. I know what it was like to live inland.

Quote:
Even more interesting is the way a kiteshop owner may get 'gunned down' for giving an opinion with a website address at the bottom.

Only because we still have a large number of dealers selling only one brand. How can you trust them to be non-biased. I am personally lucky to be able to buy from a kite shop that sells all brands.
Quote:

Do we think they don't know what they're talking about? They must have access to a larger range of gear than the majority of us and are likely to be experienced kitesurfers too.

Some do, but you need to see if they sell more than one brand.
Quote:

On the flipside though, the punters (us) need a better way of choosing our gear than listening to the informed (or otherwise) opinions on a site like this. A quick spin on the beach with someone's new kite doesn't tell you much. We need proper demo gear to hire or buy for a week, sale or return purchasing, demo days at the beach etc. How are you supposed to know how to spend a large wedge of cash without being able to try them out first?

Bummer, I do get to try a lot of stuff. Our local kite shop is really cool about demo gear. Again, that's why I'm so chatty, because I know everybody isn't as lucky.
Quote:

So come on dealers, distributors, kite companies, get it together and give us a chance to buy the right thing first time. Lets stop fishing in the dark.

ps I'm looking for a new kite ......

Go after the kite rep if the dealer sucks. They make money off us too. Some are real good about sending out demo kites and /or coming to your town.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-10-08 13:12 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:30 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

another great thing is the international factor.
so you don't have to get the advice by your local kiters that all use the same brand because it's 'in' at this particular spot. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I'm here for the laughs, and... yes, sigh, I admit it... I'm adicted to ... kiting.
Gimmie a traction kite, whatta buuuzzzzz

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-10-08 14:42 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:20 pm 
Medium Poster

Well I'm a kitesurf shop owner, and deep down, beleive it or not, I'm just as voracious a consumer of info as most of the other addicts on this forum.

One advantage though, like Dwight, I get the opportunity to try a lot more kites and boards than the average person. This is cool for a couple of reasons.
(1.) I get to have shitloads of fun on the latest and best gear.
(2.) I get the necessary experience on kitesurf gear to be able to make well researched recommendations to my customers.

I sell a large number of different brands of kitesurf gear so I don't have any particular barrow to push. I also believe that some manufacturers at various times are ahead of the pack for a while until they get leapfrogged by an advance by another brand. Competition is good for innovation.

However even with all these advantages I don't have the time, access to every brand in a timely fashion or the money to try everything. After all I just want to have fun not be a machine :smile:
This is where the kitesurf forums come in. People all round the world can contribute opinions on all brands of gear. Some even have access to pre-production gear and release titillating details just to keep us more on edge about the next developments... right Dwight :smile:

Sometimes there seems to be an orchestrated push on certain brands which can be a bit frustrating/confusing to the less informed browser of these forums. I suppose it's not hard to do a marketing move on kitesurf forums and it's cheaper than taking out magazine ads.

However there are people of integrity on the various kitesurf forums who do a damn good job as amateur testers often doing comparisons between brands and not being afraid to reveal the weak points as well as the strong points of a particular product. Thanks to you all and keep it up.

And what am I really doing here? I'm looking for the perfect kite, board and accessories. I want to jump high, fly like an eagle and skim across warm, azure waters in complete control but still be on the edge of losing control if that makes sense.

Oh and I also like to sell kitesurf gear too. So if you want some good gear from a nice guy who gets outta the shop and uses what he sells contact me!

Have fun, I am, Dave (Dr Surf Australia Ph. 02 4443 7665)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:07 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I'm here for the fun of it!Image

I'm here to see what everyone else is thinking and saying and doing around the world.Image

I'm here to compare notes with my fellow kitesurfers.Image

I'm here cuz I like talking kitesurfing in general.Image

I'm here cuz this is where I go and what I do while I smoke.Image

I'm here to get my sewing skills up to par by studying Dwight's techniques and wise words.Image

I'm here cuz I have alot to say and no one to say it to!Image

I'm here cuz some of you love my being here.Image

...at the same time, I am here for those who hate me too! Image

I'm here to give my one sided and biased input on kites while being a shop that only carries one brand and one that you should be warned of. Image(FYI-I am not a shop, I do not sell kites, so I carry NO brands...regardless of how things may appear, I am just a rider & instructor)

I'm here to let people know when and on which beach I'm doing my DEMO DAYS on for them to come and try out the newest gear all day long free of charge and to be talked to about the gear by someone who is very familiar with it...even though I don't sell or deal them. I am just greatful to my sponsors and providersImage

I'm here to make sure that you know everything you need to know and maybe even a little more about a particular brand, which sometimes makes me seem one sided and biased...but I call it faith and belief in what you DO have that you believe in.Image

I'm here to do reviews on the gear that is bestowed upon me and to read reviews on gear that I haven't yet gotten to try.Image

I'm here to try to help newcomers that need help and to help to see that they are guided right and to preserve the future of this sport.Image

I'm here to help myself to sell more gear by putting my name, shop name and address as well as phone number into my signature on every post.Image

I'm here to see what kind of silliness is going to come flying off of Jo Mac's keyboard next.Image

I'm here to see how kiteboarding.be is going to promote their site here next.Image(j/k guys, go easy on me)

I'm here to promote my own personal website http://www.mywebsitehere.com as wellImage

I'm here cuz the moderator has a way of running one of the best, fairest, cleanest and by far the COOLEST forums on the internet.Image(aside from RocketRonnies kite pants post...pretty sick!)

I'm here to catch wind of the latest amatuer video productions so many people are into making these days as I like making them and watching them myself.Image

I'm here cuz the head motherfu#&ers in charge want me here.Image

I was placed here for everyone's enjoyment by higher beings.Image

Have fun...
Pea's Out!
Johnny

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Johnny TBKS on 2002-10-08 16:11 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:19 pm 
What exactly are you smoking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
I also believe that some manufacturers at various times are ahead of the pack for a while until they get leapfrogged by an advance by another brand. . 02 4443 7665)

Good observation. Check out the Windysite report on the Aero2. The performance is close to the x2 (because it’s the newest design). Remember something similar with North? The Toro was better than the Rhino because it was the newest design when it was released. North team members competed on the Toro. The summer before, Naish team members competed on the Aero because it was newer than the ARX. See a trend here? Hehehe, ya know what I’m getting at? Hehehe :smile: That’s all folks!

Following this trend, the Rhino2 should beat the x2, then the x3 will trump it, and so on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:44 am 
Very Frequent Poster

X3..... oh shit that'll be next year!!! Better sell my X2s!!

Ooops I allmost forgot.. I'll have my AERO 2's by then.....

Why am I here..... cos it ain't windy at the moment in Auckland so I'm back on the computer.

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:24 am 
Frequent Poster

yeah and some of us are stuck at work, nothing else to do. Personally, I think all the new kites are great, and I'm happy with what I've got, I recently upgraded because:
1. It was mid winter, and I don't need to have kites sitting around unused when I can't get out during the week
2. The weather has been bad over winter
3. Last years kites weren't as durable as this years

I would not upgrade again, unless I saw very good reason to ie mine completely wore out!
Ride what you have, be familiar with it!

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next