All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Yes people, the Psycho 12.5 is in Israel, and has been unpacked, and flown for the first time today.

The forecast was good. 13 – 18 knots, so It was to the beach, for an extended lunch break, to catch the wind starting, and then picking up. Upon arrival – 10 – 12 knots. Weak to say the least, but perfect for the first time in the air. After a year of inflatables, it was kind of scary seeing all the bridal lines, but they slid apart and fell into place as if nothing was wrong. And nothing was wrong - everything was perfect! I had connected the lines and bar the previous night in my lounge, smooth as butter, then figured eight-ed them onto the bar, wing tips together, bar in the middle, and fold into a little parcel. Unpacking was just as smooth, all the way to the bar, a bit of sand on the trailing edge. Flapped the openings in the wind for about a minute, hooked to harness, and up, up and away!!

It flies smooth :cool: Brought it to the zenith, felt like it would over-fly me, but it stopped exactly above me, and just hung there, waiting to be pulled into action. A few left and right turns, added to the smooth feel. Turning is comparable to any large kite in weak winds, but a very interesting thing is the turning pressure is kept steady, and reacts better, even when in full de-power.

Anyway, together with a local instructor (he was fascinated) we played with it on the beach for 30 minutes, as we thought the wind was too weak for the water, and basically, to get used to it a bit first. You can feel the power potential. Short runs, and then swinging it back through the power zone produced some nice, floaty, 2 meter hops on the beach. It wants to fly, but it’s true potential will come at 18 – 22 knots…I have patience.

Enough on the beach, I wanted to feel the pull on the water. Grabbed my brand new Loose AX 150, and off we went. I was planning first try. A little downwind I must admit, but then it is my first time on a foil since over a year, and I hardly gave myself a chance to get used to it. As soon as you are on that line, she (Psycho) parks herself at 30 - 45 degrees and pulls. I was ecstatic, kept thinking, this is too good to be true – how can it be so easy? Isn’t this supposed to be an advanced kite? In short it was great, I can’t wait for the winds to pick up, 18 – 22 knots is going to be perfect – probably more.

Every little detail is made perfectly, from the thinner-than-competition-paraglider bridal lines, the extremely well stitched canopy, to the light, ergonomic carbon bar, de-power, chicken loop, etc, etc... German engineering at it’s finest :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigSmelly on 2002-10-10 00:18 ]</font>

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Big Smelly,
Did you like the AX 150, remember we helped you decide on that boar? Anyway, please take some pictures of the kite and share them with us, I am desperate to see some more pictures. TIA
Andres

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:35 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi Andres, the AX 150 is beautiful, light, and was syuper smooth in the few runs that I did yesterday, but I will let you know more in stronger conditions.

Pictures? Sure thing. Friday & Saturday I will take some pics, hopefully in action as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:46 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey BS,
Sounds like you're havin fun.
If the psycho has a velcro butt plug to let the air out when you pack it up I also found this is a really good fast way to preinflate, gets the kite about 70% filled without touching it as you unwind the lines. While you sand the trailing edge you open the butt plug keeping it open by pushing it together a bit, then as you unwind the lines the kite fills on its own. When you walk back checking the lines close the velcro plug and off you go.
Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:02 am 
Very Frequent Poster

It has a velcro butt plug. Sounds good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:03 am 
Medium Poster

hei big smelly i was to get first the psycho.what happened.u b....d.jocking ofcourse.im just so excited that i found my self prefering reading psycho info then kiting my Lei.
whats your weigh.i have the 153EX loose and im 97kgr.i got the 12.5.Write back as soon as i have experiences

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

First in Israel.
I am 75kg. Have fun and tell us all about your psychotic experiences...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Today, Friday, took her up in 16 - 20 knots. WOW this thing has POWER...
Up on the beach, with the bar high (depowered), no problem. I gave a little pull on the bar, into full power, and found myself floating off the ground about 1.5 meters in the air, slowly drifting down wind...:smile:
Into the water for some interesting power.
It pulls nicely, steady, feels easy, and turns quickely for such a large kite. As soon as you swing it up fast, into the power zone for a jump, it pulls, but the kick comes when you pull the bar in, to power up - the float down is great.

This stronger wind thing needs more practice. I am still used to Inflatables, and the Psycho is a bit more wild than your average inflatable. Now I say wild, because of one main reason - DEPOWER. The depower is so big, that you feel like you are surfing easily, not too fast if you don't want, whatever you choose. Nice upwind performance, because you fly it in depower most of the time, pulling slightly on the bar to make small corrections. It becomes wild, when you go into a jump, and power up, because then you really feel how much power is in it, and how, you really need to be careful, as it is easy to forget how powerful this kite is, when cruising along in depower. It is also important to note that I was no where near the end of the depower - I did not use the additional depower on the depower line, and I felt quite comfortable, even when the wind picked up to around 20 knots towards the end of the session.

It did fall a few times after jumps when I did not pull it back in front of me enough. mostly it front collapses. This looks and seems really scarey when it happpens, as it falls into its own lines, and seems to get all messsed (tangled)up, but ALL times I had it out of the water within 5 - 20 seconds, maximum, without mixing up the lines.

I need to get a snap shackle, as this demo version that Flysurfer sent me, does not have a fixed chicken loop that works (they told me it has been fixed in the production models). I had a very scarey experience when the chicken loop detached from my harness, the kite fully powered, I got bounced around on the beach a bit, and then into the water.
I need to be carefull with this kite, and learn it 100% before I go showing off with it.

Good winds to all, and fly safe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

pictures pictures please!
Andres

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:36 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

WOW, great stuff, have a scotch, rinse yer wettie out well and go git yo some more psycho, sounds great.
You definately want to fix that depower, loosing the chicken like that will turn the kite into a mad thing, from depower to full power in about 1 second, if you're using a leash you could just let go if this happens.
Have fun
Jo

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next