Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

jump sheeted in or out?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:44 pm

When jumping hooked into the chicken loop should I be pulling all the way in on the bar to get the most power or does it make that big a difference?
Thanks guys

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:53 pm

On an inflato - pull the trigger by pulling the bar in.

On an ARC - let the bar out to make the kite fly up faster.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:59 pm

when powered up:

fly the kite back slowly (not fire it back hard)
fully sheeted out.
then jump up and pull the bar (not too fast, too). this will increase the lift.
steer the kite back overhead and sheet out again, making the kite faster. . .

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:59 pm

Yes, it's an inflatable. I need to pull it in and hold it through the whole jump? Does it make that big a difference? Seems like when I pull it in and turn it then let it out it flies faster. Not sure though.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:01 pm

It depends on what the kite does when you pull the bar in. If you're trimmed so pulling the bar in (or down) flairs the kite (trims in to the point of power loss) too much, the hang time will be reduced a lot. It can also throw you into a high speed down wind drifting jump. Most of the time though, pulling the bar in increases the boost and hang time. You just need to be aware of what the kite looks like when you pull the bar in. It can help, or hurt the jump. You must figure out which based on your level of power at that moment.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-10-11 23:02 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:05 pm

I ride a fuel 14m that is set up standard and I ride in the loop all the way out since I'm well powered. I pull in and crank it back but it seems like I get more lift if I let the bar back out right after liftoff. Is this right or should I keep it held in? The kite is not really flared or anything. It's set up correctly. Thanks.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:35 pm

On 2002-10-11 23:05, Anonymous wrote:
I ride a fuel 14m that is set up standard and I ride in the loop all the way out since I'm well powered. I pull in and crank it back but it seems like I get more lift if I let the bar back out right after liftoff. Is this right or should I keep it held in? The kite is not really flared or anything. It's set up correctly. Thanks.
Whatever works best on that day is the right answer. Kite brands, the amount of power in your kite, all affect what will work best.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:53 pm

Any really big jumps should be at full power but remember if the kite is low and you pull hard on the bar and sheet in and do a low fast jump you are making it worse for yourself and will find that by pushing out on the bar you actually go higher because the kite accellerates up faster. That sounds like what happens to you. Try more controlled jumps with the kite higher above you before pulling. Get it up there using the edge, start small, controled and try to edge hard just at the moment the kite pulls you up. Low and fast jumps = too much pull from low down, controlled pulls with the bar sheeted in = floaty higher jumps with easy landings.
Let us know how it goes...
Aloha Royce.

shunter
Frequent Poster

Postby shunter » Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:09 am

what i have been doing lately is
sheeting out as i fly the kite back (flys faster). just on lift off i try and sheet in (tensions lines?) as i reach the apex of my jump i sheet ouy (this seems to give the kite more glide on the way down and softer landings). on landing sheet in and power away.

this is usauly to hard to remeber and i just pull the trigger. and only really good for no trick jumps.

shane

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:10 pm

tried it today worked much better. what really worked well is just pulling in at the moment I lifted. I also tried the trun towards the kite a little to build speed then turn away and lean back hard. I doubled my jump height!!! 10feet high for me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”