All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I am heading down to St. Maartin for a few days next month for the first time. I understand that Orient Bay is the place to go to for kiteboarding, correct? Are there any other tips on hotels, restaurants, things to do, etc. on the island?

Thanks and hope there is some wind!
Rick Iossi

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Rick, the best tip I can give you....stop by here and say hi before going there. Its the slow season there so you should be able to find some good deals online. When i go there I stay in some really expensive place, but I think there are places as cheap as 75 or 100. There is a Nudist colony out near orient bay for 78.00 a night in a nice appartment and about 7 minutes away from the beach and if you prefer you can wear clothes...don't get too hopeful, not too much to look at. I have a couch and fouton here if you get time in PR.
Aloha Royce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hello Royce,

I would really enjoy checking out the north coast of PR, particularly if the wind and those great swells you have are going off. I will have to monitor the weather over the next several months. Is your wind/weather influenced by fronts sweeping off of the USA much in the winter months? What brings on the good winds this time of year?

Thanks for the suggestions for St. Maartin. On the nudist colony, hmmmm, do they have guided tours? Something about shredding in the all together doesn't set me off or anyone else I suspect! I have been looking around online and the prices are pretty good.

Good winds,
Rick Iossi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:29 pm 
Rick, just got back from St. Martin. The place to kite is "Galion" which is one beach South of Orient (a five minute walk from the nudist colony!) Galion is a protected bay with butter smooth water on the inside. The South side of the bay has a great surf break that is void of surfers during the week. The launch is done in a grassy field just off the narrow beach. The kiting locals are super nice. I arrived with only a kite in tow, and one of the locals lent me his wife's twin tip. Lots of Aloha spirit! The windsurfing booth on the beach however is very anti-kite, so practice all safe kiting procedures.
Chris S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:21 am 
Rare Poster

I spent a week on St Martin. Orient Bay is where all the crowds are but if you are going with someone they would probably prefer Orient as there is nothing at Gallion. Be careful to lock your car at Gallion if there is no one around. If you are at Orient then for $5-10 dollars you can get a jet ski out to the small island off shore with you kite inflated or not and downwind back to shore. Prevailing winds are SE and light. The best map is http://gobeach.com/sxmmap.htm
Driving is a trip there. And by the way Gallion is a five minute drive from Orinet. Enjoy and give us a report

[ 5 posts ]