How to stop a kite inverting?

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:47 pm

So what do you wind yer lines on Dwight?
Last night I busted one of 'em off, no idea how, but apparently all you have to do is look at 'em wrong, anyway with the kite inverted and no winder to wind the lines in on, it wuz a load of fun

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:56 pm

Firstly.....don't wind up your lines just cause you have a tangle or twist. Stick your kite safety onto your board and pull yourself to your kite by one line. Once you get there fix the problem.... then sail the kite away from you till you get to the board/ Undo the leash relaunch have a nice day. I personally am against winding the lines onto the bar after I cannot relaunch for any reason. You can fix almost anything and sail away. And it stops those terrifyng moments as the kite fills while you wind. S for the inverted relaunches... most of it is to do with line tension. If the kite is just sitting there and nothing is happening then swim away from it to keep the lines tight, Jo for you .....nothing you could do really because of the way the kite fell. However I do reccomend to people that if you have a good safety then when the kite is falling and looks like a bad crash. don't be scared to let the bar go. You might save yourself on the repairs. If the kite is inside out... let go start again. Also when the kite is falling loose lines..I swim away from it and pull the bar in close towards me and steer up hard so if it fiolls just before it hitsa it wont impact straight down.
Aloha R

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:57 pm

PS jo, when the kite flies backwards it means the leadiung edge lines are too long. For a quick fix next time just push the bar away from you.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:58 pm

No winders.....no cry BOB! Figure 8's around the middle of the bar.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:16 pm

Re
On 2002-10-22 14:57, Royce wrote:
PS jo, when the kite flies backwards it means the leadiung edge lines are too long. For a quick fix next time just push the bar away from you.
[/quote]

Hi Royce,
Gottcha, wind was really gutsy and I was pretty overpowered at times and riding with the trim pulled all in and the back lines really slack, but you're right I should've been hooked in and depowered when it got caught in the lull and stalled, so the kite would've climbed and flown to the edge of the window.

About winding the lines without winders, you mean over the bar and around the fixed loop in a figure eight. Yep, I tried it, great tip, thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-10-22 15:43 ]</font>

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:57 pm

I had that same thing happen to me not long ago with an 11.8 AB. Super gusty/lully/shifty wind, messed up a jump and overflew the kite into a lull. Tried reverse relaunching and it came up off the water and just tied itself into a pretzel. Couldn't undo it in the water and the kite was so twisted I couldn't even use it for self rescue. So I deflated the leading edge, rolled it up and swam in.

First time it's ever happened to me. I blamed it on the flukey wind and the 2001 (can't inflate too stiff due to weak bladders) high AR kite....couldn't possibly be operator error :wink:

The one difference was that this was the first time I was trying a nose down reverse relaunch while wearing a wake + bindings so I was on my belly with the board behind me and mostly out of the water. I think that this may have contributed to the problem since in this position I was offering minimal resistance to the kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”