Fin sizes-underpower/overpower

Forum for kitesurfers
kpipis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kpipis » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:29 am

last day we argued (some kiters)about the use of the fins,i think big Fins are for underpowered conditions ,so u plan erlier and small for overpower cond.
the other part was that u need big fin when u are over powered so that the board 'catches' better the water and doesnt get out.
What do u think
(i use loose 153 with big fins cause i am 95kgr-no problem though in big winds)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:54 am

As far asi know u dont rely so much on the fins in kiting u rely on the edge,and thats why wakeboards can hold more wind ,because they are small and have very sharp rails,that let u edge hard against the pull of the kite,also notice that the fins there are really small.
another thing especially with the 2003 twintips notice that fin sizes are getting smaller which again proves the edging point.
still great to have these gearhead discussions on the beach!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:56 am

I think it has more to do with water conditions than wind.

Rough water = big fins, grips easier when you are bouncing around the chop.

Smooth water = Small fins, edge can do all the work here becuase it's not bouncing out of the water like in chop.

Thats how I work my fins anyway, I sawp between 35mm in smooth water and 55mm in rough water... This is on a 147 WT.

Callum

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:59 am

there are different ways boards run.
Wakeboards run over the edge, which is very sharp therefore you can use smaller fins.
Other boards are looser on the edge, but have less grip, therefore you use bigger fins and then you have grip at the tail where the fins are.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:53 pm

the bigger the fins get, the more grip you have.

even a wakeboard may need these - i've experienced, that my board (1.34 with bindings)
is pulled out of the water in insane overpowered contitions (riding out a heavy gust when you're already powered up to your maximum). this happens very slow, so that you can guess the moment when you'll wipe out and perform some serious bodydragging action.

but the bigger fins you use, the less loose the board will become.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:25 pm

murdoc, next time your on the edge of loosin yor grip don't fight it just blast down wind turn back up after gust passes,this not only takes the teeth out of the pull it is big fun and gives you extra confidence in yor abillity to handle any gust. the only thing to fear (not that yor afraid) is running out of water, i just friggin love this move, big wall o water,spray blowing like mad yet yor just comfey and flying off the wind, and when you sence the gust is passed, blast just as hard back up wind, feels good!!!

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:33 am

fokiten

I do that also... it works quite well.. especially when there is some nice juicy chop to be ridden.....

And when you wanna haul back upwind you edge your nuts off as you've now picked up hell speed....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:36 am

As for fins....

I've rideen my directional with 4 fins, 3 fins, 2 fins, 1 fin and no fins....

Fins make a huge difference with directional boards and one of the reason why they kick so much ass in lightly powered conditions....

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:37 am

Oh yes...... and one more thing......

Riding a directional with no fins gives interesting results... gives a new dimension to jibing......

kpipis
Medium Poster

Postby kpipis » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:04 pm

yes i agree with B.A. about directionals,but the problem is with TT and wakes.its not the same use.on directionals u use the fins also to go upwind and for grip.

Return to “Kitesurfing”