Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

And now the Weather..... Squall warning!!!!!

Forum for kitesurfers
Xboy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Xboy » Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:49 pm

<b>Category 5 Kenna roars toward Mexico</b>

Kenna's 160 mph winds made it a Category 5 hurricane, the strongest category for hurricanes considered capable of causing catastrophic damage.

The hurricane was roaring toward land and forecasters said it could threaten the shrimp-rich coasts of Nayarit state but would likely miss the Baja California Peninsula, where world leaders were gathering for a summit.

"Based on the records, which go back 40 or 50 years, this would be one of the two or three strongest" hurricanes to hit Mexico's Pacific coast, said Ed Rappaport, deputy director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

Kenna was centered 195 miles southwest of Cabo Corrientes, the tip of land that juts into the Pacific south of the tourist resort of Puerto Vallarta.

A hurricane warning was posted for the coast from Mazatlan, another tourist resort, southward to the port city of La Fortuna. Nayart's coastline sits near the middle of that swath of territory.

Kenna was churning northeast at 12 mph just before midnight Thursday but was expected to pick up speed before slamming into the coast Friday afternoon. The hurricane center said some weakening was expected before it hit land, but "Kenna is expected to be an extremely dangerous hurricane at landfall."

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:18 pm

I just met with Andres, a frequent contributor to this forum last night in Miami. He frequently rides in that area of Mexico and has described some great spots and consistantly good conditions there. I am looking forward to hearing all about the competition that he is organizing for the coming weekend. He impressed me as an intelligent, capable shredder and should bring good things to the sport in Mexico. I wish all the folks well that are in the path of this major storm event. A catagory V storm demands to be taken very seriously. Thanks for the heads up Xboy.

Rick Iossi

Return to “Kitesurfing”