Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New tests show Naish x2 chicken loop to be very dangerous?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:33 pm

The new issue of kite-boarding.de, a German kiteboarding magazine, tested all the safety systems under high pressure (page 98). It showed that the power you need to release the x2 chicken loop amounts to over 38kg under extreme load, meaning that a normal person cannot open the release anymore (a man can pull between 15-18 kg) in a critical situation. I am very surprised that nobody has ever issued a warning about this? This would mean that the Naish loop is a hazard to everyone using it (including me at the moment). Or am I getting something wrong here?

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:49 pm

i dunno how good the naishloop is, i've never been interested cause i don't like the way it is released.

but i never rely on a safety system wether home-built or included with the kite if i didn't load-test it.

just try it in shallow water when riding and/or when bodydragging.
then you'll know what you're dealing with.
but 38kg sounds VERY hard to release.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:56 am

I never get myself into the situation where I need to use that quickrelease...

It isn't foolproof but then again nothing very much is and it seems to be a last resort option.....

BLOWN AWAY :evil:

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:33 am

I'm a big fan of the naish quick release chicken loop and have used it to save my ass at least twice having no problem getting it open under full load.

maybe the test doesn't reflect the way the system performs in reality?

Later Jungles

SteveM
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maseriah Island, Oman
Style: Surf

Postby SteveM » Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:57 am

I also love the X2 chicken loop release, and have used it at least 5 times. I rather rely on the chicken loop than my snap shackle.

Steve

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:31 am

Looks dangerous. Actually, I tried the safety CL system of the X2 twice when I bought it and once when I first opened it without being in the air but didn't need that much force. I don' know under extreme hazardous conditions how will it listen to you in the short time needed.
Good that I did not need it till now. I think also that if we abide by the kite wind range, a skilled kiter will rarely use it.

I will try it on the first kiting day this week and I advise any of you to try it also and let us compare the results...
Altough this is the theoratical situation, I still prefer the X2s.

Mo

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:44 am

The only one I saw that was sticking was all chocked with sand and salt. Keep it clean and test it every once in a while and you should be ok. If it works when you test it, it should work in an emergency
Jo

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:25 am

They are very good. I replace mine( brand new) in 3 minutes!! (Not sewed a good thing).

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:18 pm

A potential reason for the difficult "under load opening" might come from the fact that some X2s'chickenloops have been deliverd with a knot tied at the basis of the rope. This knot has to be inserted in the CL tube, which is making the system to be very difficult to be put in place, hence difficult to be released.
Remove the knot and the system would work ok.
But maybe there is a risk that without this knot the system open itself when sailing.
If you know the reason for this knot or have any clue, please provide info.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:32 pm

flysufferer:

naish posted an info note to all dealers last month telling them to remove the knot, the tests were indeed performed without undertaking this mod.

personally i think naish should have made this front page news on their site.

good results for the old flysurfer system and the wichard shackle though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”