Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

x2 vs Fuel 2003 performance and construction. Any opinions?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:34 am

Can anybody compare the x2 with the ss fuel?

I have a 12m and 16m x2 they are great when powered but feel that they don't have enough in the low end for me.

i was condidering 2003 fuels as another option in the 11m and 15m range. Can anyone help?

does the fuel have a lower AR?

is the fuel construction as bullet proof and stiff as the x2?

thanks in advance,
Jungles

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:10 am

if you want a really good comparison go to http://www.kitesurfingnz.com and e-mail Dave
He is a former X2 team rider recently switched to Slingshot and has those two 2003 sizes.
personally I think the SS kicks arse and the constuction is killer. I am of coarse totally baised but I say Dave won't be the first and definately not the last to make that change!!

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:18 pm

Slingshot has new seams for 2003 and more panels in the kite to offset the ARC shape for more power and speed and control. The more panels allow the kite to hold shape better, too. The seams are double folded over for bomber construction. Naish uses extra bladder struts in the X2 which I feel adds more weight than strength or power.

The new Slingshot kites will also have "fuel injection" which adds 4 kite-line attachment points on each end of the kite. You can set up your Fuel for max speed and performance, or set it for slower turning and back more in the window for lower ends of the windrange. A very versatile tool.

The reinforcements are doubled up and the kite was given a complete "one-over" to check every part of every seam, stitch and attachment. Slingshot really spent a lot of time to make sure their kites will be the best built in the industry for 2003 and it shows.

They also offer a new GTO which is a 4 line kite, that's convertible to 2 line! The construction is the same as the Fuel.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnny TBKS » Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:58 pm

The slingshot is built MORE bomber proof than the X2, plain and simple. See any Mark cloth on the X2's? Has anyone seen the Mark Cloth on ANY kites aside from Slingshot yet? If not, rest assured you will soon. (I discussed the Mark cloth a little in a previous post. You can see it at phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2554&forum=1 )

On 2002-10-10 16:18, chicagokitesurfer wrote:

The new Slingshot kites will also have "fuel injection" which adds 4 kite-line attachment points on each end of the kite. You can set up your Fuel for max speed and performance, or set it for slower turning and back more in the window for lower ends of the windrange. A very versatile tool.
Actually, the new Fuels will have 3, not 4, connection points on both the front and back of the kite, for a total of 6 on each side of the kite allowing you to tune it as 'V' described. Very versatile!

I think the Fuel may be just a shade lower AR than the X2, and the GTO, being as described by V, also has a lower AR than the Fuel, while the Torque is their lowest AR kite. So SlingShot now has 3..a higher AR(fuel), a medium(gto), and a low AR 2 liner(torque).

If I had to pick between Naish and SlingShot, Slingshot would win hands down. Of course, I'm somewhat known here for being biased towards SlingShot...what can I say, I'm in love! Customer loyalty and care..not to mention warranty. I have asked this over and over here and have yet to see any answers....Does any kite company aside from SlingShot offer a 1 year warranty on all their products, kite included?

Johnny

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:15 pm

That's correct and probably a better way to say it than what I said, "adds 4 attachments" which adds to the existing 2 for 6 total on each side (3 front and 3 rears).

The 2003 Fuel is higher AR than 2002 Fuel.

I agree with customer and dealer care. Slingshot has been awesome to deal with. Not like DaKine who charges me twice for deliveries, and never returns emails/calls. I have since switched to Prolimit and Mauimagic. The new gear from Prolimit looks awesome, too. Slingshot people care about their customers and their gear, and its shows in my everyday dealings with them. Cindy is great!

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:23 pm

Slingshot you rock!!

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:02 am

:smile:
I rest my case!
Besides, would I steer you wrong?
And am YET to hear anyone comment on the damn warranty! Think maybe this is cuz no one has a warranty that matches it?

Anyway, Slingshot is a great crew, great company and make great kites. Loyalty and satisfaction is what they are all about.

Pea's Out!
Johnny

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:15 am

thanks for the insight on the construction.

with the slightly lower aspect of the fuel compared to the x2, do you still get the turning speed of the x2 with more grunt in the low end from the 2003 fuel?

i fly my x2s on the fastest setting and love the light pressure required on the bar for control. are the fuels light to steer?

thanks for the help, Jungles

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:26 am

The new ones are. Very fast steering too if that's how you choose to set it up. The 2003 Fuel is an entirely differnt kite than the 2002. It flies and turns as fast as or faster than the large Takoons I have flown, except Takoon uses bridles, and slingshot doesn't. It should also be noted that I am flying my 2003 17m SlingShot on a nice little 18 inch bar and it is still quite responsive, even in light winds. TRY TO GET TO FLY ONE OF THESE IF YOU CAN! I betcha buy it if you do!

Johnny

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:33 am

last weekend while testing the new slingshot fuel on the beach in NZ the former X2 rider looped the Fuel 15m 6 times on a 20 inch bar. thats 6 continuios loops starting from directly over head. His now discarded 14m X2(condiderably smaller) could only do 4 loops in a similar test.
To me a fairly pointless excersise but it does show that the new SS can out spin the spin leader.
the Fuel was set at the front most and re most attachments points. Personally I prefer the next point in at the front for a more powered feel. But whatever rocks your world the new SS Fuel does it all!

Return to “Kitesurfing”