X2 versus others..

Forum for kitesurfers
aklbob
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby aklbob » Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:14 pm

Everyone is saying that the new Rhinos etc are more powerful than the X2s, but I compared the size of the X2 to my old Wipika Airblast 11.8, (16sqm), My 18m X2 is the exact same size (even the wingtips are very close in width) as my 11.8 Airblast.

The 12m compares too, the 12m X2 is the same size as my old 8.4 Airblast, which I think was 11.4 sqm... so the Naish sizing is bigger than actual area! So if a Rhino 12 is more powerful than a 12 X2, one reason will be that it is bigger!

The 16m X2 must be more like 14.5m or something. (certainly doesn't look much bigger than the 12m)..

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:34 pm

We know from Ken Winner’s question and answer session on this very forum, the Rhino2 has purposely built with more low-end power than the x2. It’s a trait the North team prefers. This can be done by selecting a higher built-in angle of attack. When comparing, in general terms, what a kite with a built in lower angle of attack flies like, you would see a kite that requires more speed to make power. It could have more tendency to race over your head (over-fly). It could jump forward in the window quicker, killing power. I have two prototypes with different built-in angles of attack. Image
I know what that type of change feels like.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dwight on 2002-10-10 21:38 ]</font>

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:34 pm

I'm sure there are differences between them, but all I was saying is that in everyones comparisons, at least we should compare 'apples with apples', and at least compare the same sizes!
I have experienced low aspect grunt, my old 8.4 Classic had more low down grunt than my 11.8 Airblast, but that didn't help me in light wind.. cause I went downwind!

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:34 pm

AKLbob has a very valid point. Here in NZ the x2 has been toted as being relatively cheap ie a 12m x2 is cheaper than a 12m Slingshot or 12m north.
But that is totally the wrong comparison.A 12m x2 is infact less powerful than a 10m Slingshot or north or wipi 8.4. All very confusing for the newbie but correct size comparisons are necisary when comparing prices of various kites.

Vangelis
Medium Poster

Postby Vangelis » Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:08 am

I've found the X2 12m at least as powerful if not more than my Toro 12m, Takoon Skoop 8.5, RRD 11.9.
I disagree with the 12m X2 being similar to the 10 Fuel.
V

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:21 am

Actually the 12 X2 is way more powerful than the 8.4 Airblast, but they are the same size. (Both are smaller than other "12m" kites from other brands).

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:42 am

Yes the X2 12m is far more powerful than the Airblast 8.4. I regularly kite with two friends on these airblasts and in light wind I always have way more power.

Chris G

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:03 am

The X2 is NOT a lightwind kite... if it ain't flying fast then it ain't pulling....

It's designed for well powered conditions where you don't have to whizz it around the window....

The 8.4 AB isn't the kite you should be comparing it to as that's known to be very high endish.....

Best off comparing it to grunty kites like the Fuels or Rhinos....

BLOWN AWAY :smile:

aklbob
Frequent Poster

Postby aklbob » Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:44 pm

The angle I was coming from is that you can't compare the power of X brand kite in a 13.5m size with Y brand kite of 12m size, obviously the power(in general) of X brand kite is likely to be greater!

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 12, 2002 5:12 am

I have just started using X2 18 12 sizes and yes they are smaller in actual size compared to other kites, but they have heaps of power and range, good bottom end to, provided you dont oversheet them, the 12X2 has way more bottom end than my lower AR 12 mtr kite. when the X2 are flown light on the backlines the 18 will park and power upwind in 8knts and the 12 will park and power upwind in 12knts on a 149tt @78kg.

Return to “Kitesurfing”