Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do You Hate Beginners?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 02, 2002 4:55 pm

Just another spin on the subject...

No offense BLOW ME

I have tried numerous times to encourage professional instruction to many beginners.

There were a few instances over the summer where a beginner wanted to save his money for gear and doing so he repeatedly put our launch and us in jeopardy by trying to learn on the fly. I had already saved his ass twice by not letting someone launch his kite after seeing his bar in hands backwards and another time his lines on backwards. I dont look at the guy, help the guy (other than advising lessons), and I recommend to those around him to beware.

If someone who has taken the proper steps and needs some review or assistance, I am always there to help.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:27 pm

Don't worry about those guys. The really good riders are all approachable and will be laughing with you not at you. Guys with attitude are the ones that need to be remembering how it feels to be learning. The really good guys are the ones that are stokked to see the learners show up and get better. The guys like the one you described should go somewhere else to sail. Kitesurfing is freedom and enjoyment for all.

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:22 pm

I disagree. The best way to deal with someone with a bad attitude is to be nice and courteous. If you respond as per above, it only makes it worse in the long run. Sooner or later no one even remembers who was the ass hole first, because everyone is an ass hole - like at certain surf breaks. If he is breaking the rules of right-of-way,or crowding people too much, then you can nicely explain the rules and ask him to comply. If he refuses, then you (as a local organized group)can ask him to leave. If you have to take it to the next level, so be it. But do not respond to a jerk by giving him some of his own medicine. This reinforces his behavior because all he sees is that the other guy is a jerk and he feels that he must respond accordingly (and he obviously has poor people skills or a character defect to begin with).

Alan

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:31 pm

yeah don't be nasty to him, you'll just encourage him and he's really no big deal, everyone gets their lumps. You remember that second portanawake vid, the guy doing those really cool jumps over the sandbar, last image of the vid is the same guy getting dragged slowly up onto the beach on his stomach, hilarious.
That is cool, that is kitesurfing.
Jo

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:27 am

Beginners are the lucky ones, they have fun at every session and are so much easier to please than a real hot rider.
Hot riders always need more demanding conditions to get their kicks, whereas beginners are just stoked to be on the water drawing lines.
Nico

Marley
Medium Poster

Postby Marley » Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:34 am

did not read everyone's quotes but if your done learning your dead. Learning is life don't stop till ya drop.

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:35 am

Sounds like an arrogant prick, that needs a spanking, thing is, as was said before - what goes around comes around.

Do you think it is nice being so agressive? Do you know how much energy the poor sod needs to burn up by taunting others? The poor sucker must be really bummed with life...maybe he just needs a shoulder to cry on.

Aaah stuff it, just go up to him, and ask him if he had a cool session, next time you are all on the beach after a nice one. Not all agro like, but like a buddy, or a friendly local would, having seen you there often. If he starts back friendly - go with the flow, get a conversation going, and let him know that you are still a lot less advanced than he is, and that by coming so close he is just scaring you, and putting both you and him in a dangerous situation, as he is making you nervous, which may lead to....you get the gist - try to make friends...

If there is agro from the word go, try not to go down to the level of scum like that. Be a man, tell him "you know what buddy, you sure kite a lot better than most people around here, but one day, you will cause harm, to either you or someone else, so drop the atitude, forget about work, live life, put on a smile, give us little fart...just a little one...thats good, aaaaaw what a ripper :grin:!! ....balh blah blah...etc etc etc

Oh one last thing. Did you ever think, when walking past him, setting up his stuff, to say "hi", "howzit", "nice conditions", "WHASUUUUUUUUP!" ?? "HEY, DINGLE DICK, I'M TALKIN' TO YOOOOU!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigSmelly on 2002-11-03 08:38 ]</font>

norts_grom
Medium Poster

Postby norts_grom » Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:17 pm

On 2002-11-02 11:17, Anonymous wrote:
The worst of the good kiters are the young ones, their arrogance puts the whole sport in jeapordy. Jumping a few feet away from bathing children, is not on. They will be the last ones to help you so don't help them.
Don't help them land ,launch point and laugh at them getting dragged down the beach. Maybe thats a bit strong, but you get the idea, don't go out of you way for these little turds, hopefully they will get the hint and fall into line. If your a begginer you have right of way any decent kiter will help and advise you how to improve. Unfortunatley it's the 1% that spoil everything good in life
jeez mate, this is a touch steriotypical, i am young, i kite responcibly, i help others when id rather be out there not giving a shit about some guy i dont know, we have a handfull of young kiters who are some of the best and most responcible in our area, just becasue one young kiter did something wrong, it dosnet mean you dont help launch and land the whole community of young kiters, or laugh at them when they get trashed, they are learning, give them a leture, they are the furure of the sport

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:39 pm

Hey Guys.

ThanX for all the great Responses. If I see him again (and I will) I think I will take the Nice guy approach all though I love all of Johnonomous' Responses. :wink: I'll be the Better Man.

"Oh one last thing. Did you ever think, when walking past him, setting up his stuff, to say "hi", "howzit", "nice conditions", "WHASUUUUUUUUP!" ?? "HEY, DINGLE DICK, I'M TALKIN' TO YOOOOU!""

Yeah, I did, but the thing is he didn't even give me any eye contact or anything...if that happens again, I'll greet the Dingle Dick.:smile:

Cheers!

xid3d
Medium Poster

Postby xid3d » Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:07 pm

jeez mate, this is a touch steriotypical, i am young, i kite responcibly, i help others when id rather be out there not giving a shit about some guy i dont know, we have a handfull of young kiters who are some of the best and most responcible in our area,
Thread's concluded but had to add that:

I'm always being impressed by how cool, thoughtful and technically knowedgable the younger kite enthusiasts are in my area.

I concider kite surfers to be our futur leaders.

Kite Surfers RULE !!!!!!!!

-Dix-

Return to “Kitesurfing”