Depower adjustment block??

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:49 pm

Hi people, I seem to remember reading about something like a depower adjustment block that you could adjust the throw of the depower with, I think on the new Slingshot kitebars but I can't for the life of me remember in which thread.
I got the idea it's a sort of cleat you move above the bar to shorten/lengthen the depower so you can ride with it full out with no pressure on your arms, sound right?
Does anyone have any info on this, how it clamps to the depower rope and if I can get me grubby little hands on one, or make one?
Thanks.
Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-04 14:51 ]</font>

Robert
Frequent Poster

Postby Robert » Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:35 pm

Hi Jo,

Do you mean something like this:

http://www.solidkiteboards.com/pcx/intro.html

Cheers,
Robert

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:03 pm

That looks good Robert, for blocking the depower so you can launch or jump depowered/powered right?

No, i didn't meant this I meant something that goes on the depower rope between the bar and the trim cleat pretty near the cleat so you can adjust it to have a longer or shorter depower range so you can ride with the depower all out and no pressure on the arms in different wind conditions. I know you can do this with the trim anyway but the trim also changes how much the kite will oversheet with the bar all the way down.
For example in strong wind you want more depower range and probably the trim pulled quite a bit down so on max power the kite pulls less.
In light wind you want less depower range if you want to ride with the bar fully depowered and the trim looser. If you let the trim out a lot in these conditions so you can keep the bar fully out, the kite will really oversheet with the bar pulled all the way down.
What I want to be able to do is vary the length of the depower throw, from chicken loop to trim cleat, in other words how far the bar can travel.
Does this make sense or has my head exploded and forgotten to switch off my mouth?
Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-04 17:05 ]</font>

xid3d
Medium Poster

Postby xid3d » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:57 pm

What I want to be able to do is vary the length of the depower throw, from chicken loop to trim cleat, in other words how far the bar can travel.
Does this make sense............
Yah it does to me, one problem I've had is that as I adjust the bar travel,(pre rigging) I run out of arm lenth for full depower (need shock absorber arm extensions?):)

Help me out with this please....

My old 16.4 AB jam cleat for example is a poor setup. When it fails (not if) the line slips to full power. Not a pleasant suprise when you're counting on sheeting out when over powered.

Can you point me to a trim strap/setup that will DEpower if it slips?

At the moment I have removed the jam cleat trim. With arms extended with a slight bend at the elbows, it's set for depower. For full power I hook into an outside loop.(just to rest the arms)

I really need a safe trim adjuster.

ROBERT - Thanks for the Solid Power info. Any word using it?

I plan to change from shakle to chicken loop with QR. My $30us snap shackle has worked flawlessly, but after reading Forum stuff, I'm afraid that the first time the snapshackle fails (to release) could be the last :sad:

-dix-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xid3d on 2002-11-04 17:58 ]</font>

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:01 pm

Can anyone remember what thread this depower cleat was mentioned in or am I just imagining it?
I'm pretty sure it was something to do with Slingshot, but if I do a search for Slingshot or depower, well you can imagine.
Jo

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:08 pm

Jo
the new slingshot bar has an adjustable stopper which you preset at your desires length between the bar and the cleat.
basically a sliding ball with an allen key locating pin.
Cheers Gavin SSkiteboardingNZ

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:02 am

jo,

look for cabrinha and you shall be fine :wink:

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:44 am

Thanks gavin, so you have to screw it doen with an allen key, no adjusting while riding?

Murdoc, you saying Cabrinha have a system like this?
Thanks.
Jo

Xboy
Medium Poster

Postby Xboy » Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:25 am

Jo I have also got this problem, I suffer from "Short arms Syndrome" but I thank God I make up for it in other departments :grin: . Have you tried using a cable tie that might work as a temp solution.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:31 am

Jo, You can just go with small depower and huge trim range. Other option is a adjustable fixed loop.
I don t think this type of devise is available in the right shape and size. It has to be a ball / Cleat.

Return to “Kitesurfing”