Kite Safethy at Tour Level.....

Forum for kitesurfers
murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby murdoc » Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:16 pm

if a runaway kite hits mine, making me disconnect from it ...

this particular dude would hear some harsh words
and i'd watch him rescuing my equipment, untangle my lines and re-set up my kite.
and i'd pray for him that my kite has suffered no damages.

if you have that attitude that you need no leash, than NEVER let go of the bar.

perhaps it'd be a good idea if all kiteboarders refused to start anyone's kite if he/she doesn't wear a kiteleash?

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:21 pm

time by time again I hear it is my responsibility if I don't wear a leash or I don't wear a helmet, but that's pretty egocentric since you are hurting the image of the sport for every accident you cause , and we all know the accidents without injuries are not getting the news (if you wear the proper kitesafety gear, you increase a lot not to get injured so badly) the ones with injuries do...

and the conclusion for authorities is pretty simple ...just close the beach

You have to look at their (law) point of view , kitesurfers are bitching around about safety gear.... so if they(kitesurfers) are not getting it straigth then it is up to us (the law...) to do that for them... and most of the times they just close the beach !

Instead on working together and straighten out those issues...

Do you think I am wearing a helmet because I am a pussy ... no I am wearing one because I am aware !

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:22 pm

What would I do if someone dropped their kite on me?
If it was a friend, it'd cost them a beer and a friendly kickin, probably picked up my board more than once anyway.
If a non-friend depends on the how they reacted and how many times they said sorry.
If a jerk, depends on the kite, if it was one I fancied I'd take it off 'em, high seas salvage mate
If it was crap, cut the lines so it wouldn't do any more damage at least for a while.
Imo fighting is a last resort, too easy to kill somone even with your bare hands (saw it happen at school to 2 friends of mine, now one is dead and the other in jail) and you turn into the sort of person I hate, besides we're not here for the fisticuffs but 4 fun.
Only do that if absolutely necessary.
Jo

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:01 pm

Jo, you are absolutely correct in not fighting, but I don't know how the reaction is when you are in range and just escaped from a live threatening incident?
I'm not aggressive at all, but some guys I know riding without leash and do handle passes believe they are god and behave that way. You never know...

I like Murdocs idea: don't launch and land someones kite if riding without leash.
Would it help or not?

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:49 pm

Sounds good, but I'd be doin a lot of self launchins and landings. Only about 2 of us in 20 who use a leash around here.
What would you do if someone dropped their kite on you?

Btw Giuliano, just posted on the Italian forum sayin there wuz a buncha German + Dutch kiters with him in Eygpt and they wuz leashed and showin everyone that you can be leashed and definately be hot shit on a kiteboard too.
Way ya go Toby.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-05 14:20 ]</font>

Xboy
Medium Poster

Postby Xboy » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:33 pm

I think the main thing we as Kiteboarders can do is start at the grass roots level, and I'm sure we all do. I personaly wont teach a person or even attempt to help him/her launch without a helmet and impact vest (Talking nOObs here)hopefully when they see someone needing help they will do us the favour and pass the info on to the next person and so on.

Adolfo
Medium Poster

Postby Adolfo » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:02 pm

Regarding the use of helmets and impact vests, I think the only solution is to make them mandatory on competitions. Sooner or later, the crowd will follow. It may take some time, but; Hey!!, everybody wants to look like a pro!!. If they don’t, it is their problem, the same as smokers or helmet-less motorcycle riders. You can do with your life whatever you want.
But leashes are a completely different issue. You are talking here about what to do if a leash-less kite hit yours. I agree, that that can be a very dangerous situation. But we are all kiters, who know how to deal with kites, and most times we will see it coming, or will be able to get out of it unharmed. Actually the posts are talking about tangles and possible kite damages.
But you know what really scares me? is the risk of a maverick kite getting to the beach, where your 3 years old boy is playing. What will happen then? Or if your wife is sunbathing, looking the other way? They have absolutely no way to deal with a powered up kite.
From my point of view, leashless riders are potential killers, and have to be treated as such.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:10 pm

On 2002-11-05 13:01, Toby wrote:

I like Murdocs idea: don't launch and land someones kite if riding without leash.
Would it help or not?

hey .. i didn't talk about not landing a kite.
the kiters that don't use leashes are mostly so experienced that they ride at an overpowered level.
so, every launch and landing is a dangerous situation. and refusing to grab a kite that's 1m over the beach, dragging the kiter in is at least as rude as riding without leash ...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:45 pm

ok,Murdoc,just launching the kite, got you wrong there.
if someone is in a dangerous situation everyone has to help, no doubt.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:48 pm

On 2002-11-05 13:49, Mr Jo Macdonald wrote:

Btw Giuliano, just posted on the Italian forum sayin there wuz a buncha German + Dutch kiters with him in Eygpt and they wuz leashed and showin everyone that you can be leashed and definately be hot shit on a kiteboard too.
Way ya go Toby.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-05 14:20 ]</font>
I know who these riders... :wink:

Yes, we all had leashes and did everything except handle passes....

Pls say hi to Giuliano!

Thx
Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”