Giiiive meee morrrrr depowrrrrrrrr

Forum for kitesurfers
Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:15 pm

Last time I wuz out in gusty wind I was trying to push the bar higher all the time with the kite pulling like a bitch in the gusts so I decided to change the depower on my bars for a longer one with more depower and trim range (10 cm more on both).
Had a chance to test this settup today in really gusty wind today and it is great, the kite turns just as fast and is just as powerfull as before when you pull the bar down but then becaomes a pussycat when you use all that depower, seems to fly faster depowered too with the kite flyin further forwards in the window, bet upwind is better too if you get enough wind to use all that depower.
All things considered it feels like a new kite, bloody brilliant.
Thanks to everyone who helped me out with their advice on this mod, great stuff.
Jo

Geronymous
Medium Poster

Postby Geronymous » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:19 pm

With which kite(s) have you done this?

Thanks!

philippinho
Medium Poster

Postby philippinho » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:23 pm

...but my armes are not longer that I can't add 10cm more on it!!!

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:29 pm

Slingshot Fuel 2002 16 +12

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:29 pm

That's exactly where the Takoon Skoops get there huge windrange from. Take the Takoon bar and fly for example an ARX => much more depower :smile:

But you have to make yourself really long to reach the most upper (full power) position :sad:

I for example never understood, why Naish bars have such a short depower. Imagine how the X2 windrange would raise, if you would fly them with a different bar => for example Takoon Dream bar

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:34 pm

or you could just get a Psycho... :grin:

Geronymous
Medium Poster

Postby Geronymous » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:36 pm

If this is true ("just use a longer depower range"), why is North (and Naish) putting such short depowers on their NEW kites???

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:40 pm

+++++++++
That's exactly where the Takoon Skoops get there huge windrange from. Take the Takoon bar and fly for example an ARX => much more depower
+++++++++

The kite also must be able to change the AOA(angle of attack) ie "twist" more.
It's the way there are designed. A Skoop/Airblast or comparable will depower more then a Rhino/Toro or ARX etc.

So, a kite can only be depowered up to the point a kite will let you. Not up to the point you will loosen the backlines.

I agree that the depowerrange of a naishbar is really small(but some like it)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sake on 2002-11-06 17:41 ]</font>

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:46 pm

Hi Sake,
Re:
So, a kite can only be depowered up to the point a kite will let you. Not up to the point you will loosen the backlines.

I dunno about the other ones and to tell the truth I was a bit worried about some of these issues, I basically used as long a depower as I could to be able to hold the bar fully depowered in both hands with the bar horizontal, which is obviously a lot closer if the kite is flying and you're holding on with one hand. Turned out to be 10cm more.

Anyway back lines were really loose today, (especially the bottom one with the kite at the edge of the window) and the kite flies great, I would even say better than before.
Instead of puling all the time it pulls when I want. Maybe in light wind if you fully depowered the kite at zenith it could luff but that's something I always expect anyway, kite can always hit a lull.
Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-06 17:55 ]</font>

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:15 pm

Sake's right, you don't get the massive windrange of a Skoop simply by making a longer de-power on other kites although it helps as Jo noticed on his S****shot F**l.

Return to “Kitesurfing”