Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Saftey, yeah who are you foolin, not me!

Forum for kitesurfers
DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DrLightWind » Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:07 pm

Toby wrote:
IMO it changes a lot - authorities have less to go after and in the future runaway kites accidents will be avoided.
Now we're ready for the future.

That's right also now we are the future and if we take care of the now we will take care of the future. That is why most of the 2003 kites will have Q.R. It's not an accidental they learned from the past and taking care of the now because they want you to have fun with a safety device which is not preventing you doing tricks out there.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:15 pm

hey look, I think the problem with kiting is kiters, simple as that, we do stupid stuff, we loose our common sense, we are not normal people, we are thrill seekers,I dont care what you post or profess, that happen's here in cyberspace. what happens in the real world is different, you know it, I know it, when authoritys figure it out we are in trouble. Maybe we'll get designated areas? most likely we'll be night kiting and driving get away cars. Anyway kiting is risky on the best days. It will survive even if we do not. Saftey is personnal I fail to be safe when I listen to my inner voice; "Looks like it will be ok if you can make it to the windline game-on!!!! " I do not think it should be promoted, the nut jobs will find it on their own. Then I will help them launch with or without a kite leash!

Ulrik
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Hydrofoil,Waveriding
Gear: Shinn BronQ CRB4
Groove Skate 130,
Nobile Kite skim
Kitech FreeRS
Naish Pivot
Gong Unik
GONG KITEFOIL ALLVATOR FREEWAVE

Postby Ulrik » Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:35 pm

Fokiten wrote:"Toby i absoluty agree that kite leashes are for the protection of others That was my point.WE ARE the danger,WE ARE THE PROBLEM face it. I love kiting but it endangers others no way around it (its always somthing)"

If you are aware of the danger, then why not minimize the risk of hurting others ???

xid3d
Medium Poster

Postby xid3d » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:10 pm

fokiten says that using a kite leash is hazzardous. Add that to the factors to be concidered.

As in aviation and extreme sports, known factors are evaluated and then risk assesment is created.

Our location is about 300m from a busy 100KPH roadway. So letting a kite go on the road is a bummer. We're lucky so far. If a bar hits a windshield at speed, chances are the spot will get a kite ban. I guess start looking for a new spot because it'll get banned anyway!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xid3d on 2002-11-06 23:15 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:27 pm

I think the underlying message here is kite safe and use your common sense. THAT'S IT! We don't have any when adrenaline rushes through our vein and some chemical imbalance takes affect with the brain cells. Let's face the facts…SHIT HAPPENS! We are challenged with situations like this everyday where you have all types of people that:

-wear a kite or/and board leash
-not wear a kite or/and board leash
-snap shackle or/and quick release
-chicken loop only
-kite onshore condition
-kite offshore condition
-launch hooked-in
-launch unhook
-self launch
-gusty condtions
-water obstacles like rocks, piling, and water craft

I'm sure you can add more to this list but all of the above can spank you and others, or in extreme cases, end your sorry ass. There's no place, especially in this sport, for careless, over-confident, know-it-all, done-it-all nitwits. Part of the blame is at the pro's for promoting this sport in an indirect way. They don't wear helmets, PFD's, kite or board leash. Why, because of the cool factor. Yes, we all get caught up with magazines and videos of the amazing transitions. But ultimately you have to decide for yourself what is the right thing to do. I recently had a pro commented on my use of the snap shackle as a loaded gun. He suggested it might jam in an emergency situation and render any safe release. I can't argue that point but is the chicken loop any better - good luck with pulling out of the loop in a power emergency situation. At least I have a chance with the snap shackle. You can ask the same question of the QR's. What irks me about his comments was the guy didn't wear a kite leash and he's lecturing me. OK he doesn't harm himself but what about people downwind. The response was I pulled all my maneuvers out in the water....and somehow that makes it OK. You can't have it both ways.

Fokiten speaks the truth but can be done at times with milder language. The bottom line is common sense, awareness, speak the truth about your abilities and inform others of the danger. Knowledge will save your life.

Jimbo
(LA)

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:34 pm

On 2002-11-06 22:35, Ulrik wrote:
Fokiten wrote:"Toby i absoluty agree that kite leashes are for the protection of others That was my point.WE ARE the danger,WE ARE THE PROBLEM face it. I love kiting but it endangers others no way around it (its always somthing)"

If you are aware of the danger, then why not minimize the risk of hurting others ???

Ulrik, This post is not about kite leaches, anyway I have one. This post is about safety and that kites are not safe, and that kiters are not safety freaks they are adrenaline junkeys. Kites are dangerious and the people who use them are freaks. This is the post.
This is also why people get damaged. I have come to terms with this,I am at peace,I see people getting friggin bent over minutia, And thought it a public service to point out the saftey issue which is KITES ARE DANGERIOUS AND THE PEOPLE WHO FLY THEM ARE FREAKS, that is the saftey problem. Thinking you and your saftey gear are causing less of a problem is only true as long as you don't fuc up, so no f-up you are just a problem waiting to happen. get it? you and i and every other kite operator are the problem, saftey? you want saftey don't kite. If you want to kite you must realize you endanger everyone around you. thats all I said. and im stickn to it!

xid3d
Medium Poster

Postby xid3d » Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:04 am

KITES ARE DANGERIOUS AND THE PEOPLE WHO FLY THEM ARE FREAKS
better to be honest than someone on the beach saying " eh, this is really easy, easier than windsurfing, I'll give you lessons, sell you some gear and BTW sign this release waiver."

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:11 am

I agree with your idea that it i sthe kiter that causes the problem not the victim. This is why it is in our best interests to use every safety precaution possible. Not for some siccofantic sense of moral servitude as you suggest but purely to preserve the fucking sport we love. Where i kite there are very few people on the beach but if i f*** up doing a trick and i have to release, i know i have done evrything in my power to make sure my kite, me and anyone else around is as safe as possible. Thats why i wear a leash. I love the buzz and it doesnt diminish by not wearing one and thats why i love this sport. Some people dont have the luxury of kiting like foikiten in remote areas, they have to kite around others. And anyway, its human nature to show off, people love a spectacle. Perhaps its just as important that spectators and other water users know the risks THEY are taking around kites. Okay we aint been around long but its a free country and if we take all precautions to minimise the risk why not kite? If the rest know the risks and danger they are in the owness is on them aswell as us to make it safe. Kiting can be a sfe sport relatively speaking. Look at bungee jumping. Not the most rational of ideas but not illegal as its properly policed and organised. There are a million other adrenaline sports that could be ostracized due to their danger and danger to others but they aint because every one who does them has some sense of duty to keeping it as safe as possible for themselves and others.
Richard

gaffer
Frequent Poster

Postby gaffer » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:34 am

I use a leash because I dont want my kite to dissappear off into the distance. Why dont I want it to dissapear off into the distance.

1. I might not get it back
2. It might get damaged
3. It might cause third party damage

probably in that order because of the relatively empty beaches I use. But if I'm on a busy beach then its most definately the reverse order the is important to me.

Some of the beaches round here are 3 miles long, in onshore winds you can sail from one end to the other in a few minutes without ever going out further than knee deep. I think its a bit much to ask other people not to walk thier dog or take the kids paddling just because there's some guy three miles down the beach launching a kite. Fine we know the risks and we have to live with them but it's not fair to say that others should see a kite and stay away because of the danger.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:53 pm

Has a non-kiter been killed by a kiter yet?

Return to “Kitesurfing”