*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:21 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 94
Location: East coast England
I think that the safety leash is not that great. I had the end of my finger ripped off by a leash system (from a good company) after it snapped when i had the kite in full power. I use a re ride system for sure but if it all goes wrong i would rather have to walk a few hundred meters to pick it up rather than spend all day in A+E. and yes where i kite is a designated spot for kite surfers and wind surfers and no members of the public are allowed!


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:03 pm 
One day later, The reason I posted this strong view is that i discovered Im an idiot, I always thought i was safer than the next guy simply because im over 50 and need to think about a longer recovery time if i get hurt, so I am naturally more conservative. I also discovered, all this goes out the window when i see wind. I took chances i would not take and i tookem because i needed water time I needed to kite. Once i got home again i realized i was an idiot! Damn, Kiting is so cool its like crack, So now i realize im a crackhead with a loaded kite,I have no sense and I am a conserative kiter. So I thought I'd focus on the problem. "I and every other crackhead kiter is the problem", Leashes of coarse if your around crowds, Newbees with kites? shit what can you do? tellem not to do it?


Top
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:15 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 2185
Location: Spain/Italy
Fokiten you are brilliant,
never stop bein you and never stop learnin man
Only solution I've come up with


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:18 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 249
freerider, that company is not so good if their equipment is likely to rip the tip of your finger off.

If it was a freak accident fair enough it could happen to anyone but rather than just discarding your leash it might be better to modify it slightly to minimise the risk to your fingertips and the risk of a loose kite to others.

would you rather spend a few hours making your gear safe rather than trying to appologise to tearful mother after your kite garroted her son whilst he was helping to launch a mates kite from a dedicated kite launch area.

Think about the risks, shit DOES happen, minimise the risk of it happening to you!


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:00 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 457
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
On 2002-11-06 21:24, fokiten wrote:
OK I INSist every single one of us wear a leash,I insist everyone stay away from inocent people out for a stroll on the beach, ok I insist everone be smart and act responsibly. This changes nothing. sorry?


Your argumentation is flawed. The way you argue, you couldn't drive a car. There is a certain level of risk that is sanctioned by society: by using cars, we do endanger innocent bystanders. Hell, in Germany, it's even legal to go as fast as you want, even though it doesn't make the traffic flow better or add any sort of tangible value.

Basically, if you want to kitesurf, you should assume responsibility for what you do. And that means to me that you take sensible precautions not to hurt other people. A kite leash is certainly a big part of it. And not jumping close to people as another part, too. It's just not as easy to judge.


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:41 pm 
Quote:
On 2002-11-07 18:00, jever98 wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-11-06 21:24, fokiten wrote:
OK I INSist every single one of us wear a leash,I insist everyone stay away from inocent people out for a stroll on the beach, ok I insist everone be smart and act responsibly. This changes nothing. sorry?


Your argumentation is flawed. The way you argue, you couldn't drive a car. There is a certain level of risk that is sanctioned by society: by using cars, we do endanger innocent bystanders. Hell, in Germany, it's even legal to go as fast as you want, even though it doesn't make the traffic flow better or add any sort of tangible value.

Basically, if you want to kitesurf, you should assume responsibility for what you do. And that means to me that you take sensible precautions not to hurt other people. A kite leash is certainly a big part of it. And not jumping close to people as another part, too. It's just not as easy to judge.

hello Jever98, Flawed? I suggested exacty what you profess? The fact is that kiters do what they have to do to kite! They don't do what I tellem, the post points out that kiters are stupid me espessaily i endanger myself and others because im a kite junkey I take unessary chances because i have to kite, look at you, Preachen to the cquire, Promoting your better idea? which is what? same as mine! Get a grip take your own advice and your all set. As for judging I agree it is obviously not your strong suit.
I will fight with my deamons,and try to keep safe,Your all set so congratulations to you!
Autobonvovage! geniuos!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fokiten on 2002-11-07 19:12 ]</font>


Top
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:17 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Posts: 29186
Location: World (KF Admin)
Quote:
On 2002-11-07 15:53, Anonymous wrote:
Has a non-kiter been killed by a kiter yet?


be happy that not! otherwise we will face serious problems. and if we don't take care something will happen, unfortunately.


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:22 pm 
Welcome aboard toby!


Top
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:37 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 457
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
On 2002-11-07 18:41, fokiten wrote:
hello Jever98, Flawed? I suggested exacty what you profess? The fact is that kiters do what they have to do to kite! They don't do what I tellem, the post points out that kiters are stupid me espessaily i endanger myself and others because im a kite junkey I take unessary chances because i have to kite, look at you, Preachen to the cquire, Promoting your better idea? which is what? same as mine! Get a grip take your own advice and your all set. As for judging I agree it is obviously not your strong suit.
I will fight with my deamons,and try to keep safe,Your all set so congratulations to you!
Autobonvovage! geniuos!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fokiten on 2002-11-07 19:12 ]</font>


Thanks for the attitude, mate. They way I understood your argument - and excuse me if I'm wrong, was that all kiters are always putting other people at risk and that we are all selfish gits who should feel guilty for kiting since we are such bad people, being kite addicts.
I do not follow your point, if that was it (I had a little difficulty following your wording), since I am convinced that it is possible to contain the risk of kiting to a certain acceptable level. Neither did I mean to suggest that I know better than you or others, the two things I mentioned (leashes and jumping close to people) were meant as examples.

Lastly, why do you become so aggressive if I contradict you? I don't recall having being rude to you in my argument.

Cheers
Nico


Top
Profile
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:27 pm 
Quote:
On 2002-11-07 21:37, jever98 wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-11-07 18:41, fokiten wrote:
hello Jever98, Flawed? I suggested exacty what you profess? The fact is that kiters do what they have to do to kite! They don't do what I tellem, the post points out that kiters are stupid me espessaily i endanger myself and others because im a kite junkey I take unessary chances because i have to kite, look at you, Preachen to the cquire, Promoting your better idea? which is what? same as mine! Get a grip take your own advice and your all set. As for judging I agree it is obviously not your strong suit.
I will fight with my deamons,and try to keep safe,Your all set so congratulations to you!
Autobonvovage! geniuos!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fokiten on 2002-11-07 19:12 ]</font>


Thanks for the attitude, mate. They way I understood your argument - and excuse me if I'm wrong, was that all kiters are always putting other people at risk and that we are all selfish gits who should feel guilty for kiting since we are such bad people, being kite addicts.
I do not follow your point, if that was it (I had a little difficulty following your wording), since I am convinced that it is possible to contain the risk of kiting to a certain acceptable level. Neither did I mean to suggest that I know better than you or others, the two things I mentioned (leashes and jumping close to people) were meant as examples.

Lastly, why do you become so aggressive if I contradict you? I don't recall having being rude to you in my argument.

Cheers
Nico

Nico, I did not mean to offend and certainly my wording is not as persice as it should have been. I was on deffence as I was responding to critizism. Plus who could pass up Autobonvovage?
The truth is yes we endanger everyone around us everytime we fly our kites, and because of that we "are" selfish gits as we do inssist that we kite,You got it right. That is what i said. Now, I am a conserative kiter and I screw up and take chances just because I want to kite. I think all dedicated kitefreaks do. and thats it! WE are the problem. Your points were well taken (also commonly accepted)the problem is us!!!!!!!!! You got it, we all talk saftey but not many practice it,myself included! Now you claim to know what safe is! Now my question is,"Are you just talken or do you ALWAYS kite safe???? TELL THE TRUTH


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Jose Vazquez and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group