Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

plywood boards Vs. production boards

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 10, 2002 3:11 pm

If I hit something hard in the water or when I drop my woody, I don't mind.
I can repair that same eavening.

If i see other shapes, I just copy them into the next $45 woody.

FUN
Eddy

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:41 am

I build and ride both foam core composite and plywood boards. I like the ply boards from a wear resistant point of view as we have a lot of oyster encrusted kitesurf locations which makes it a good disposable option. You can build them in the same weight range as production wakeboards with a bit of experience though nothing near that of a custom foam core board. They also do seem to ride a bit smoother through hard chop as their flex dampens the ride. Thay can also be designed and built to be a little stiffer though not as light and snappy as a good composite board for wakestyle tricks. I must admit that I prefer riding my foam core boards but the plywood board has it's place. Whether it be a low cost alternative, a home-baked means to extend the quiver or a bombproof reef grazing board from hell.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:50 am

Rod have you tried a straighter rail on your board??

It should make it go faster and if you want to go big on an F-Arc speed is your friend (still need to track upwind though)

Stu

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:52 am

New ideas and shapes will come from homemade boards.
Homegrown is the way it should be.
Regards
Nico

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby F12-Flyer » Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:15 pm

I go too fast as it is. I took my F out and launch it in around 24 knots. I made a couple of runs very powered up. but within seconds it was reaching 27 knots and I tried to walk upwind but every few metres upwind would end with a 4 metre slow drag downwind. I had no choice but to deploy my leash. Good news is I had a great session on my 630 although its no where near as good as the F. I had a lot of fun. it reached 30 knots and I was well in controll.

Well when I find my self picking up speed I really try to keep it slow because when the speed picks up its really hard to slow down And I like to fly my kite not the kite fly me. Good news is each time I go out I'm getting more and more control on the water and my edging skills are getting better aswell as my speed control. I'm sure they would be alot better with a nice board with all the fins. looking forward to getting one.

Rod

shunter
Frequent Poster

Postby shunter » Mon Nov 11, 2002 1:33 pm

Rod

You can get bolt on fins ($(AU)30 each) and bolt them on to ya ply pig dog. Even two finns just on the heel side will help. this is how i kited all last summer. A Cheaper option is to buy/beg steal a nylon chopping board 5-10$ and cut/shape some fins out of this, just watch out for melting nylon when using a grinder to shape them. these can be fixed to the board with self tappers threw from the top. Fins are not essiential in flat water but help heaps in toe side ridding and waves you will need them in the surf to get good.

drop me an e-mail at work if you need help doing it.

shane

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster

Postby F12-Flyer » Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:02 pm

hehehe I think next time it will be a real board hopefully I can pull it off in a few weeks.

Rod

Max111
Rare Poster

Postby Max111 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:17 am

JUST FINISHED A PLYWOOD 170 *40 tt GOT SOMEONE TO TEST IT YESTERDAY WHO'S GOT LOTS OF EXPERIENCE HE WAS AMAZED AT THE PERFORMANCE AND FLY'S UP WIND EVEN WITH HOMEMADE FINS
THIS IS A BOARD I BUILT TO LEARN ON AS IT WAS BUY A KITE OR A BOARD NOT BOTH GOT MY KITE NOW SO WHEN THE WEATHERS RIGHT IM THERE

IT WAS EASY TO MAKE AND COST ABOUT £30 IN MATERIALS AND LOOKS GOOD

Maris
Medium Poster

Postby Maris » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:35 am

Pics ?? Weight ?

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:47 pm

I haven't made any ply boards myself but I have ridden a few of them. The ones i've ridden are heavier than my underground lunchtray. However that IS a very light board. The plyboards I've ridden lack the loose feel of the lunchtray but that's just a matter of taste which can be rectified with different modifications and outline etc.

Despite the extra weight the boards i've ridden go great in light winds (better than my tray) and go upwind really well. I've ridden a number of peoples homemade boards.... aklbob's boards are brilliant.

BLOWN AWAY

Return to “Kitesurfing”