Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Big Air vs Technical tricks

Forum for kitesurfers
gaffer
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gaffer » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:28 am

Just wondering what most people prefer, I do a bit of both (not always sucessfully) but do feel that I get board of the technical stuff once I get it wired.

I have a theory....

Riders who concentrate on the technical tricks tend to be the ones that do thier stuff close to the beach and infront of the crowds. Riders who just like to go big or carve tend to move offshore and find plenty of space to ride in. The reason I think this is so is that technical tricks are not functional manouvers, so the rider gets bored of them pretty quick, that is why they need to show them off infront of others to get get any pleasure out of it. Whereas boosting big airs and doing smooth functional transitions and carves is very rewarding to the rider so he is more than happy be out back playing alone.

For example, Whilst I can appreciate how difficult it is to take off the board pass it behind you and put it back on I cant say I really see the point in it, other than to show everyone that you can do it. So if you do this trick you have to do it near the beach where others can see how good you are, otherwise whats the point?

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:51 am

For me its all about the buzz of the jump, trick or carving - i.e. purely personal enjoyment.

Haven't really sussed out the attraction twirling the board etc - while throwing big shapes fucks my head right up :smile:

IMO,

Dave

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:32 am

Dear 1st Poster,

only People who aren´t able to do things like judo airs, supermans and doubleflip-transitions will post similar things to your posting.

Certainly it is a pleasure to show the crowd how to rip on the water, but if you are able to do some bigairs you soon will get bored of it and combine it with a giant tabletop (maybe onehanded)...

Kitesurfing is like sex, without alteration of some components you will be bored in the long run..

alex

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 08, 2002 11:47 am

On 2002-11-08 10:28, gaffer wrote:
Just wondering what most people prefer, I do a bit of both (not always sucessfully) but do feel that I get bored of the technical stuff once I get it wired.
I don't agree...
Here, when you are in the last period of the intermediate level, most kiters go for the big non-technical moves.
But when you get really tough - it is waaaaay too boring, whether there are spectators or not - does'nt matter.

The technical tricks is IMO the thing that can keep even the best kiter going and have fun "forever" - because its a challenge, and you can always find more and even too difficult or new tricks to master - or try to at least.

If I am out alone - I for sure do, or practice, different technical tricks.
In fact its almost the only way to jibe today (Dir/Mutants/TT's), which is really fun.
And if you are a bunch of friends out - there is nothing more fun that showing new moves, and also boost full power in between.

So I have to disagree in tech. being boring - and simple power more fun.
I think the opposite - simple power is fun, but tech. moves are never as boring, and keeps you going !

Now and then its also great just to boost as high as possible, without any tricks (maybe just a table top or one single spin) - and ride this way in power and simplicity - yeah !
It is very alternating that you can change style whenever you wan't to.

This is a great sport - I just love ALL of it !

norts_grom
Medium Poster

Postby norts_grom » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:46 pm

why mot do both?
it dosnet take a wake board and a footstrap board.....i can do a board off varial 360 and a simple barpass on my footstrap board, not bragging but you dont need bindings to do wakeboard tricks, just get some decent foodstraps, when you wanna do a tantrum or something, jam your feet in, when you wanna do board off, loosen your feet a little, i think its impressave when someone does a big board off move, then straight away does a good wakeboarding move, you get the best of both ends of the sport and you dont miss out on anything

gaffer
Frequent Poster

Postby gaffer » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:53 pm

I'm not trying to say any one way is better than the other, just trying to get other peoples views on things.

Peter you illustrate my point well here...

**The technical tricks is IMO the thing that can keep even the best kiter going and have fun "forever" - because its a challenge, and you can always find more and even too difficult or new tricks to master - or try to at least.**

Thats exactly my point, technical stuff is a real challege (and fun) at first but once you get a certain trick wired then it's no longer a challenge and could get boring doing that trick over and over.

**And if you are a bunch of friends out - there is nothing more fun that showing new moves, **

Again this is what I meant, doing all those new moves you just mastered is no fun unless your buddies or someone else is there to see them. Where I ride its quite often that I'm the only one out so the moves I do and enjoy are the ones I do for myself (what I call functional) rather than the ones I do for the non existent spectators.

**This is a great sport - I just love ALL of it ! **

I most certainly agree with this bit, if it makes you happy you cant be doing it wrong!

Wolfgang
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42

Postby Wolfgang » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:00 pm

I think your objectives change according to your skills:

After the beginner phase I wanted to go for carving, switch stance, somewhat after that for big jumps - a little later for soft landings :wink:

Now I think I'm ready to go for the first tricks: dead man, no foot...

Disco D
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jersey and Hatteras
Gear: Mixed Flexi quiver.

Postby Disco D » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:46 pm

I see a lot of similarities with snowboarding. You have those that ride primarily in the park bustin' the latest technical tricks and then you have the all moutain freerider(like me) who chases powder in the trees or wherever and looks to go big off of the natural terrain. Those riders that can incorporate both styles are who impress me the most.

If you are lucky enough to get reliable wind conditions with super glass, waves, and or chop then going big or technical is not as much an issue because they all give a different feel.

Thats why I love this sport. I get the rush of all the sports I love in one package.

Glass = powder riding
Waves = Down the line
Chop = Bump & Jump like you have never seen before. Anyone need a windsurfer?

D

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:15 pm

Learning new moves is how you stay having fun.
Is true that some moves "feels" very good to rider and others are more for the show.
Going big and enjoy the view is "classic" and always a pleassure.
There are styles and move for everybody. the point is still trying.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:10 pm

For me it's all about progression - so learning new stuff is a must, if you're not progressing then sooner or later you're gonna get bored & give up.

BUT I love to fly - the bigger the better - I never get tired of going big it just brings a smile to my face every time I do it!

Return to “Kitesurfing”