Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I had a pretty serious incident/accident today...

Forum for kitesurfers
Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Johnny TBKS » Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:43 am

...and because of it, I don't know how soon I will be able to get back on the water. :sad:
My backs killing me. I don't really think that this is something to add to any Kitesurfing database as I had no kite in the air at the time...hell, I didnt even have a kite in my posession! I was hit by a car. (gotta love those people driving with cell phones eh?) My backs hurting me pretty bad right now cuz of it too. NOPE! Wasn't my fault in case you were wondering. ANYWAY, I'll live!

RICK IOSSI....I have been tossing around an idea of yours, and just thought I'd let ya know I'm still trying to get it to happen for you/us. FREE HELMETS FOR ALL! Well, not really. Here's what I'm working on....

You proposed that maybe some retailers could offer some helmets to kitesurfers at cost, and of course plus shipping. Well, I think this would be a great way to get the helmet crusade kicked off and kitesurfing headed into that safer direction. But here's the thing. I don't wanna step on anyone's toes by doing this. Obviously, guys trying to sell the helmets at profit may have an issue with this. (((-I have already received threats in the past from the Southern and Eastern coasts of Florida from other kitesurfing instructors who were under the impression I was giving free kitesurfing training....thus screwing up THEIR business. And here we all thought we lived in a free world!!! Obviously, I can train people at any price I like, and free too for that matter...although I can, I don't. Our prices on training is competitive to the other going rates in the area, and I am NOT out trying to undercut or undermine anyone in any way...those were all just false allegations...also know as BS and gossip.-))) So, because of that, if I were to make it so we could get a limited amount out to the public at cost, some greedy money hungry dealers could possibly contact the helmet suppliers complaining that they can't sell their helmets if Johnny is giving them away at cost... and possibly have my account taken from me so I couldn't get them anymore at all for undercutting them all. And here we thought we lived in a free world! Sorry, but that's just typical business BS for you. I don't make the rules of play.

However, we are in negotiating this with some helmet makers, and hopefully, if at all possible, we'll be able to make your suggestions a reality. IF we manage it, the numbers will be pretty limited...maybe something like the first 25 or 50 to respond requesting them.....SO act fast when I DO give the go ahead...IF I get to give it. Anyway, I thought maybe I'd share it with you. Trying to get answers as quick as I can. I'd like to see it happen.

Also, if you are already aware of someone fulfilling this idea for you, please let me know as I have overlooked that post if you made one. Furthermore, if you have something in the works as well or ideas or thoughts about it, please e-mail me so we can compare some notes.

Trying to heal...
Johnny

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster

Postby F12-Flyer » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:28 am

Now you know how it felt when that guy totalled my car. I lost my best car and couldnt go kitesurfing because of it for about a month. I got wiplash and a few cuts but that was it.

A whole lot of shit you cant be fucked with and it wasnt even your fault any hope ya get better and get back on the water.

Rod

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:52 am

Excellent idea on promoting helmets

Count me in for one.

doghouse
Rare Poster

Postby doghouse » Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:47 am

I found the best deal on the internet at wakeboardz.com...protec wake style. I called the guy and told him he had the best deal I could find, free helmet bag and shipping in conus included $49.94. Give it a shot...Doghouse

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:52 am

nice suggestion TBKS, everything that can help the sport growing to more safety is good, strange though that people can buy very expensive kites but then don't have a budget for a helmet anymore,... I think we should use the moto " safety first " .

But like I said it sounds to be a good idea ! And why not try to look for a sponsor? In that case you can lower the price again... And why not try to involve the retailer .. ? Maybe he is indeed interested in sponsoring this !

I know it is not always nice to look as a billboard, hey but at least you are safe :wink:

get well fast !!!
cheers

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:47 am

Great idea
Get well soon Johnny
Jo

Cal
Frequent Poster

Postby Cal » Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:04 am

Hey Johnnie, sorry to hear of you mis fortune, get well soon!!

Callum

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:26 am

hey Johnny, next time you cross a street make sure you wear a helmet and protection vest! Don't forget: kiteboarding is dangerous!

Hope, you will recover soon!

Toby

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:54 am

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:43 pm

Hey Johnny, check out GRATEFULHEADS. They've been making whitewater helmets for a few years. They have many styles to choose from as well as custom colors, ect. They're much stronger than Gath's, Protecs, ect and are considered top of the line by kayakers. This would be a new market for them and chances are good they would give a promotional quantity to you and could probably care less who you undercutt. :smile:

Return to “Kitesurfing”