Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Oops,,,another Fuel 15 question

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:07 pm

Got myself a 15 today and can't wait to get on the water. Forecast today is 15/20 knots. Here in Oz, the 03 bar doesn't arrive until mid December so I'm going to use one of my Wipika bars until the new bar arrives. I've read that they come standard with a 17" bar. I have the current 21" Wipika throttle bar as well as the carbon 27" Apex bar. I'm been flying an 8.9 (12.2) Freeair and an 11.5 (15.5) Hydro which are a LOT slower than what my new Fuel is going to be. I prefer my Apex bar but I'm thinking an extra 10" might be way too big, especially with the wind pushing 20 knots. Has anyone out there used a Fuel 15 with larger bars than the standard? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Brad.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:09 pm

Hey Brad, it just wil turn faster, but that is ok with a 15 sqm kite. You will have a lot of fun with it.
Let us know how you liked it.

Cheers
Toby

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:41 pm

Thanks Toby. I do realise that it will turn faster. I just didn't want to be 20+ feet in the air or looping etc and unintentionally power up the kite too hard due to not being used to it's turning speed. I find it hard to disengage auto-pilot once I'm on the water. I guess if I try to fly the Fuel like one of my wipika's, it won't take long for me to be humbled. I'll make an extra effort to take a narrower grip on the bar and go from there.Cheers, Brad.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:01 am

no, don't worry, it won't be such a difference.
Yeah, if you don't grab it at the ends of the bar but more in the middle, you might have a better feeling. But just get used to the speed on the water and you won't have any problems but FUN ! :wink:

Enjoy
Toby

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pedro Marcos » Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:40 am

Toby, u talk like u already tryied the fuel, how do u describe it? Is it closer to the wipika style kites or to the north style?

Which setup on the lines in "fuel injection" you prefer? can u give us your "review" of the kite? :smile:

Thanks

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:33 am

Im using the 15 2003 with a X2 24" bar. No problem am planning to try a 20" bar next time I go out and see what it is like. Just interesting thing, was kiting with Ben Wilson last night and we both had 17 Meter 2003 fuels up, I as usual had my 24" bar and he pulled out a 17" bar. The 17 meter stillwent well with that but damn it looked small.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:33 am

Well I got out on my new 15 for about an hour and a half in about 13 - 16 knots on my Litewave 148. I used the 27 " apex bar and loved it. My timing was a little out jumping etc but I'll have it sussed in a few more sessions. Looking forward to playing around with the different settings to bring out the full potential. Obviously turns heaps better than my Hydro but is still really stable. First impressions are all positive.
Brad.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:41 am

Hi Brad, If you really want to make the kite turn slower when using the longer bar you can use the various attachment points on the kite to make it less sensitvie to bar pressure.
Jo

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:31 am

Thanks Jo. I've pretty much got my head around how these different attachment points function now thanks to Johnny's wealth of info. Didn't have time to play around with them today but enjoyed it all the same. The bar I used was fine under the conditions. Might have to make adjustments in stronger winds though. Cheers, Brad.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:50 am

Had a kite tonight in gusty 10-17kts approx on my 17.

The kite went unreal. I was using my north bar fitted with a naish chicken (22 in). The kite turns plenty fast enough with the lines attached to the second attachment points.

Proved once again that the relanch on these puppies is bloody easy.

I only had a few overpowered arse slides, so Im thinking that this kite will be good up to around 20 kts given the right water conditions.

Do you know what sort of windspeeds Ben Wilson is using his kite in? Id be interested to know.

Later,

Pete.

Return to “Kitesurfing”