Forum for kitesurfers
Air Vermont
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Air Vermont » Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:40 pm

Gang,
For those taht fly or have the X2 20 meter, what is the sweet spot for wind speed? I'm guessing that the kite performs best at about 15 mph (14 kts). I know this is dependant upon many factors, but what I want to know is if you showed up at the beach, and the wind was blowing X mph, what would you consider to be the ultimate windspeed that would get you pumped to use the 20?

Thanks
Gary

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:57 pm

10-12mph is perfect, the upper range I would say-being completely lit at 17mph. I loved the 20, supersteady power and moves well.

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster

Postby ctkiteboarding » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:03 pm

id agree, its ok at 11 or 12 on my 147 wt but gets fun on my 137wt at about 15 or 16 , at 17 or 18 i got to the x2 14 luv these kites

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:04 pm

you said it...

"this is dependant upon many factors"

i weigh under 140 and with a 7' directional i could probably ride the 20 and have fun in about half the wind you mention (as long as it's really steady wind). my buddy weighs around 200 and when he's flying his 20, i'm out on a 16 or even a 14.

how much do you weigh and what board are you riding? if we know this we can offer estimates for that sweet spot you seek.

Air Vermont
Rare Poster

Postby Air Vermont » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:31 pm

I weigh 190 and sail a Jarvis or a Hana Crew Double VIsion 6.0/5.6

I have never found a sweet spot with the 20. Just hoping somebody else had and could save me the struggle.. I sail Airblasts, and was extremely disapointed in the performance of the X2. I assumed it was a lightwind kite, but could definately sail my 11.8 AIrblast as low as the X2. Admittedly, I only sailed the kite about 6 times, and half the times were 10 or less. I have had the kite for sale, but have been hearing more about the kite not having much low end, but lots of top end range. I was sort of thinking about trying it again, but it seems like a total overlap with my most excellent Airblast.

Gary

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster

Postby ctkiteboarding » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:42 pm

these kite are not that easy to sail they are designed for advanced riders that want to jump, i have some problems with the 20 in light stuff but it was because of the slow boards i used to have like a drake as wellas a hana double,as the season progressed i went to a faster board and learned to sail the kite in ts sweet spot, no problem any more and when others are only skippin im going up, id say that the x2 is not for everyone and takes alot of input to sail correctly im having fun with the 14 but sold my 10 and use my areo 10 and think ill get a areo 2 20 if i sell the x2 20 try a faster board the jarvis is way slow as well as the hana

Air Vermont
Rare Poster

Postby Air Vermont » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:52 pm

What do you recommend for a fast board in a twin tip?

vesku
Medium Poster

Postby vesku » Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:24 pm

Hi X2ers!

Do you guys attach your front lines to the outer or inner front attachment point? If your select that based on the wind speed/board, then what is your sweet spot for outer and inner attachment points? I know that Mark Shinn uses the front one all the time but then you have less de-power.

VESKU

ctkiteboarding
Medium Poster

Postby ctkiteboarding » Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:48 pm

im on wt 137 and a wt wide 147 for light stuff they work well lots of people say that the muntant is the best board for x2 kites???? my idea is to try them all till you find what makes you smile as for settings i sail out side all the time and back line close front line far and use my wt to edge the kite to the windows edge for depowering??? anybody else sailing this way??? dont no, but im smiling

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:52 pm

I think the amount of rocker in your board has more impact than your weight etc.

On my Mutant i can use the 20mX2 under 10 knots (jumping, upwind). on my littleTT with much more rocker, I need another 4 knots and even then I feel like I am slogging. It's a different riding style.

With a flat rocker board you get power from speed, with a bendy TT you are using the board to slow you down when super lit.

For example if the wind was steady 16 knots - I could go the 14m X2 and Mutant, or the 20mX2 and tiny TT. I would probab ly be powered sim ilarly on bothg - but with more bar pressure and less speed on the 20m.

The Advantage of the 20m and TT in this wind is big, floaty transitions and pop whenever you want it. The disadvantage is that you get tired pretty quickly as it takes more work.

Return to “Kitesurfing”