All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I don't use a leash, but prefer bodydraggin upwind, a reel leash seems lots safer than a fixed leash but as I don't use one please note that I do not know what I'm talking about but this is my reasoning.
A reel leash is definately better than a surf style fixed leash but I think it can still spring back if the line has any give at all, it also has an elastic bungee to attach to the board right?
Even if it lets the board out slow, if the water grabs the board and holds it for long enough as you put tension on the line and the longer it is the more elastic it will be, it will come back at you.
Also if you're not leashed to a board the board can go anywhere, (true it can still hit you, but it's more likely you'll hit it) but if you are leashed to the board it will be on your trajectory every time and there's a lot more chance of getting it back fast.
I know there are people who've been using the reel leash for ages and like it and haven't been hit by the board but maybe someone with a reel leash could test how much spring back there is by standing in the shallows and hooking a board (or something similar) on the end and having a mate pull it out fully, put it under a decent tension and let go, see what happens. Where it goes and how fast.
Be ready to get out of the way
Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-19 17:28 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:06 pm 
Quote:
On 2002-11-19 01:29, Anonymous wrote:
Screw wearing a board leash.
...The edge of the board and the front fin caught me on the back of the head and my ear. The fin cut the back of my ear just a bit to scare me silly.

Please reread the comments about wearing a helmet when using a leash and consider wearing one even when going leashless. There have been cases where unleashed boards have hit their riders and the other way around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:11 pm 
Quote:
On 2002-11-19 07:54, zbose wrote:
I agree about going leashless. I have been for awhile now, and it is the only way i feel safe.

Feeling safe is the first step to becoming complacent. Fear that feeling and fear hard objects (including your unleashed board).

Quote:
I think the 10 feet or so on the reel leash isnt enough

What's your experience with the reel leash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:50 pm 
Medium Poster

I guess I should use the words "feel safer" because I still worry about board impact even without my leash. In fact, just the other day I had a very strange crash where the tail of the board washed out on a odd shapped piece of chop and i fell onto my butt, flinging the board in front of me and then was dragged into it, banging my knee pretty hard. But that would have happened whether or not I had been wearing a leash.

The brief (one session) period that I wore a reel leash convinced me that eventually I would have a rather nasty impact with the board. I did not have such an impact the one time I wore it, but I felt, judging from one high speed crash, that the impact potential was still real, though very much reduced.

I agree that there is a chance of impact even without a leash, and this is why I always wear a helmet and impact vest, in addition to being leashless.

But, like I said, the only thing I really saw wrong with the real leash was the short amount of line, its easy to drag out 10 feet and keep getting pulled. I think that a 50 foot model would minimize the chances of impact to the point where it wasn't much different than riding leashless.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zbose on 2002-11-19 18:50 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:47 pm 
I think we have lost the reason why board leashes were developed in the first place...to protect others from your mistake. Now while I agree that the leashes today are no designed for kiteboarding this is no reason to say I am not wearing a leash. I use a reel leash and realize that there is a good possibility I may be jammed by my board but this is my risk....by wearing the leash I keep those around my from being hit by my board and this is what the leash is designed to do...protect others plain and simple.

While on a lake a leash is not really necessary , when riding breaks especially near shore it is a definite must.

Maybe we should be talking about designing better leashes instead of saying get rid of them.

Cheers,

Shwern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:16 pm 
Ive been riding the east coast in the waves for a year and have only had a few experiences with looking for my board in the surf. Whitewater and a leash can do some really badass slingshot effects with your TT or directional.

Once again. For the people who would rather loose a board than a head...forget leashes bros...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Here is an interesting post from the kitesurf list:

I have been hit by my board using a reel leash because it was flying
behind me not snapping back.
Big fast jump gone bad.
The Board hit my helmet hard enough to require a few stitches and a
sore head for a few weeks.
I will never jump with a leash attached again.
I also upgraded to a snowboard helmet from my kayak helmet.
I agree that the reel leash is the best kind of leash and I still
keep one on to use in case of an emergency (like my kite going down
in deep water and needing to self rescue).
I was a leash advocate before I was hit.
Be carefull.
Joel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:10 am 
Ive used a reel leash for approx 100 hours and never had it snap back at me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:39 am 
Wow, Leashes, I knew it, shit storm, Dose anyone agree that to be in a position to be hit by your board you have most likley lost control of somthing,like your common sence? and the root of the problem is that 1) you are busting moves you are not capable of? or 2) your out in conditions that are questionable if you truley are a saftey freaks? I was thinking both sides are stresing saftey!! when both side are persuing desidedly unsafe stuff!!! Hey i do it too but just felt it nessesary to point out the irony!!!!! We are incredable are we not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:41 pm 
Next we should discuss how to pull jackass stunts and be safe doing it.

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next