All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:12 pm 
Alot of my friends say that the REEL leash gets clogged or jammed during their sessions. It would suck if the leash got jammed or stuck during a big mistake with the kite. Enough force can throw anything back at you.

Leashes?

BaAAAHHHH....humbug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:46 am 
I've ridden @ 100 hrs with Surf Nut reel leash and never had it clog up with sand OR snap back at me. Occaisionally rinse fresh water through it to keep it clean. Bah humbug to people body dragging in the middle of traffic, unecessarily.

Post subject: Re: Ditch Fixed Board Leashes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:13 am 
Very Frequent Poster

This post is from nine years ago. What has changed?

Well, there have been several more board leash related fatalities, some not involving impact, lots more accidents and some nasty injuries. Severe accidents have happened with both fixed and reel leashes. More than one loss has been during a training course in which leashes were in use. Why are leashes still being used in professional instruction?

What else has changed?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:25 am 
Very Frequent Poster

any instructor giving their customers leashes to use shouldn't be an instructor!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:19 am 
Very Frequent Poster

What has changed (with regard to board leashes)? Apparently, sadly, not too much. (An amazing lack of evolution in 10 years)

This will always be one of the great mysteries of kiteboarding + human nature for me. After all the accidents, all the graphic and disturbing photo's of injuries, all the warnings from witnesses and victims of board leash injury...there are still people out there wanting to use them, most surprisingly INSTRUCTORS using them in lessons!!

It seems like the age old rationale is that the leash will "save time", will "make it easier to learn/teach", will "make it safer" by eliminating the risk of losing the board in currents/waves/etc.

I say "Bollocks" to all of that.

I have taught over 500 lessons in a huge variety of conditions. Not once has a student failed to learn how to body drag well enough to retrieve their board. Typically learning this skill takes about 30 minutes out of a 3-4 hour lesson. Occasionally the body drag skill is learned during a first lesson, but more often during the second lesson when we are in the water 90% of the l;esson learning this skill as well as other safety related skills.

To the instructors out there still advocating the use of a leash, even just for a lesson, I feel that this is a disservice to the student and our sport. It promotes laziness, retards the body drag learning process, and puts people at risk UNNECESSARILY.

If people are teaching or learning at a spot that a leash seems so absolutely necessary I would then argue that they are teaching/trying to learn at the wrong spot and wrong conditions.

As harsh as this may seem to instructors living in places where the comment above applies I say either (A) Relocate your teaching operations to a suitable spot, or (B) Find a different occupation.

While I think there is value for instructors to complete one of the various certifying organizations (IKO, PASA, BKSA, etc.) I have lost almost all faith in the "after certification" monitoring of schools and the way they teach.

It would surprise me if these "orgs" would, in good conscience, approve of 50% of the teaching locations currently being used, not to mention some of the methods. While I don't necessarily want one of these orgs telling me what to do and how to do it, I think instructors need to wake up about some of these issues that by this time seem so counter-intuitive. Repeating the mistakes of others and trying to legitimize bad decisions is simply crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:27 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Agree with robert.
It could be that instructors use leashes cos there's a feeling that time spent body-dragging to a board is wasting lesson time ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:36 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Toby wrote:
any instructor giving their customers leashes to use shouldn't be an instructor!

Totally agree!

@ RickI - nothing has changed, this is what happens! (happened to a good friend yesterday ( thats how I got the pic)

I thought Fokiten was back again, until I read the date, I miss Fokiten LOL's

Attachments:
Fucking leashes.jpg
Fucking leashes.jpg [ 386.42 KIB | Viewed 377 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:39 am 
Very Frequent Poster

RickI wrote:

Three things:
- depowerable kites (where the drag of death *almost* no longer happens).
- people riding unstrapped surfboards (or even strapped boards) in less accessible surf breaks
- pictures of professional riders riding unstrapped surfboards on gnarly reef breaks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owoY_PwDI_8

Reefs and cliffs downwind of you so that if a wave takes your board a) you can't drag after it, and b) you are limited in your ability to ride away and get yourself and what's left of your gear home.

I have not used a leash for 10 years and I am not too keen on the idea of using one. But. I recently lost a board in the situation described above. A wave knocked me off my board and took the board for a big run to the inside ... never to be seen again.

It's no fun body dragging a km into shore, searching for your board and all those waves going to waste.

Surely it is not too hard to design a surfboard style leash that stretches out quickly but recoils slowly. That's what SUP leashes do (although that is a bad thing).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:52 am 
Very Frequent Poster

OzBungy wrote:
RickI wrote:

Three things:
- depowerable kites (where the drag of death *almost* no longer happens).
- people riding unstrapped surfboards (or even strapped boards) in less accessible surf breaks
- pictures of professional riders riding unstrapped surfboards on gnarly reef breaks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owoY_PwDI_8

Reefs and cliffs downwind of you so that if a wave takes your board a) you can't drag after it, and b) you are limited in your ability to ride away and get yourself and what's left of your gear home.

I have not used a leash for 10 years and I am not too keen on the idea of using one. But. I recently lost a board in the situation described above. A wave knocked me off my board and took the board for a big run to the inside ... never to be seen again.

It's no fun body dragging a km into shore, searching for your board and all those waves going to waste.

Surely it is not too hard to design a surfboard style leash that stretches out quickly but recoils slowly. That's what SUP leashes do (although that is a bad thing).

In those situations you have decided to take a number of risks, including kiting so far offshore, so you must be a competent kiter.
You could choose to use a leash then too, but you would be wella advised to also wear a helmet, and wear some form of pfd too. Tow surfers have to wear PFD's in Oz, and kiters do now too.
The idea of a weak link in the leash to you connection is good, but what will work and what will nail you??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:19 am 
Rare Poster

i use an a 7' leash in surf and never had a problem.
it's one that doesn't stretch though, the board will get dragged away from me by a wave, my leg will get a tug. then the board just stays that far away from me until i want to get it back.

i should get a helmet though, as a friends have had their heads bashed when getting tumbled.

[ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next