Local Beach: Tampa Bay
Style: freeride
Gear: omega 15m waroo 9m underground 148x46 prodigy 148
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Distal bicep tear questions

Postby RM3001 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:59 pm

I had a complete tear of my bicep tendon where it attaches near the elbow from a non-kiting accident. Doc says I can resume most normal activities 5 months after surgery. I tried to explain to him what kitesurfing was and how it uses the arm muscles but he clearly wasn't getting it.

Anyone out there have experience with this type of injury? My 5th month is coming up and I'm scared shitless about re-injury. I want to know when I can stop mowing the lawn and start having some real fun(hooked in for a few more months of course).

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Distal bicep tear questions

Postby irwe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:19 pm

I had an 80% tear on my left arm Dec 2008. I thought I just pulled a muslce in my arm. Kited in Barbados Jan 2009 for a week and my kiting brother in-law (orthopedic surgeon) tested my arm on the beach and said you have a distal biceps tear. I said no way not much pain. I had it checked when I got home and sure enough it was torn (incomplete). Much debate on whether to get the surgery or not since partial tear. I got five orthopdic opinions the only one that said get the surgery was my brother in-law :lol: I ended up not getting the sugery and just rehabed it until May 2009 and kited in SPI (with my brother in-law) full on with no problem. Now I wouldn't even no it's there. I can do as many chin ups, unscrew jars, etc. as before the tear.
So I think as long as rehab is going OK then go for it.

Regards,
Ian

Return to “Kitesurfing”