Keeping things straight ...another approach

Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:37 pm

Thanks for all the input on the idea of limiting the ways of rigging kites, hopefully to only one correct way. A lot of good ideas and comments have come it. The point that careful preflighting is still needed is absolutely correct. In much the way you checked your car's gas level you figure you are ok, but have you checked the oil level in the last year? It is all the preparation.

The last photo series titled "No More Painful Kite Rigging Mistakes ...", located at:

phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3684&forum=1

was a starting point. The crude, rapidly assembled design had shortcomings as might be expected for a discussion piece. A key problem with the original approach was that riders could easily defeat the limitation of "only one way to rig" by undoing some of the adaptors and attachments.

So, the next version, that is also a discussion piece and starting point for other improvements, can't be as easily untied. It still relies on connecting "like with like" to help differentiate the leading and trailing edge connections. At least the critical trailing edge connections MAY be a bit more certain. It is still possible to misconnect the front and backlines but hopefully the dissimilar lines may help to avoid this. More improvement is needed in this aspect. Also, I have tried to take the AirBlast specific considerations out of it, discarding the manufacturer supplied pigtail extensions and ignoring the trailing edge pulleys. So, this approach should work with a lot more different kites as shown. As before, some four line inflatable kites, I am told anyway, don't fly as well with tight leading edge and loose trailing edge lines. So you need to tune and adjust this as appropriate for your kites.

So please check it out and continue to send in your ideas and comments. For those that question the need for all of this, think of it as a safety rail. If you walk carefully, aren't pushed and don't make mistakes safety rails shouldn't be needed. Then again, stuff happens so lets use the safety rails and while we're at it, why not something like polar kite connections. Like a lot of safey stuff for kiteboarding , it is for just in case.

Photo 1:

This photo shows all four flying lines with the respective attachments. The pigtail extension is larksheaded in place and should not be easily undone as are the other connections. The leading edge nylon loops should be the same length and in reality are pretty close but don't look that way in this photo.

Photo 2:
The two leading edge attachments are identical. The reason for this is that it shouldn't matter on most four line inflatables if you mix the two leading edge lines up with one another. It is important to use heavier line, I used 1/8 " nylon to help avoid rigging errors. The rule is to rig heavy line with heavy line.

Photo 3:
The is a view of the left trailing edge components. The Q Line pigtail extension is larksheaded on to the flight line. .

Photo 4:
Here are the left trailing edge connections in place. To aid in making this system more fool proof this approach relies on using substantially different line diameters for leading and trailing edge line connections. In this case thinner, Q line is used.

Photo 5:
A view of the right trailing edge components. In this one case, the flight line is unmodified.

Photo 6:
A view of the connected components of the trailing edge, right side.

Photo 7:
The is a view of two homemade trailing edge pigtail extensions and two factory supplied ones. They are quite easy to make.

So this is the second of many possible "polar" or fixed way of connecting flight lines to the kite. There has to be dozens of other ones possible and many no doubt better. So have at it, make your own and tell us how it works out. One thing is for sure, the longer all of us continue to use the existing color coded systems the more avoidable, serious incidents, accidents and injuries will result. We all still need to carefully preflight out gear. The fixed line polarity concept is only a simplifying aid but is no substitute for basic precautions during setup and launching.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2002-11-21 19:40 ]</font>

fokiten
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fokiten » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:26 pm

Here we go again, come on rick, two reds? two greens? weak ass nylon?, sharp webbing slicing q-line on the pulley straps? shows factory bridal circumvented, Is this an comdenation of wipika or a indorsment for your saftey take? Read my open letter, get f=en clue people look to you as sage, dont post this shit if can't do it right, your hearts in the right place but the presentation sucks, knock off reconsider get a kiter to help you but get it all right or do nothing. damn dude i do not like having to comment on your shit please reveiw and think a little. people are observent they will read everything in your pic weather you want them to or not please for the lov of god knock it off with theases half ass attempts. sorry damn, think man

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:32 am

[quote]
On 2002-11-21 20:26, fokiten wrote:
Here we go again, come on rick, two reds? two greens? weak ass nylon?, sharp webbing slicing q-line on the pulley straps? shows factory bridal circumvented, Is this an comdenation of wipika or a indorsment for your saftey take? Read my open letter, get f=en clue people look to you as sage, dont post this shit if can't do it right, your hearts in the right place but the presentation sucks, knock off reconsider get a kiter to help you but get it all right or do nothing. damn dude i do not like having to comment on your shit please reveiw and think a little. people are observent they will read everything in your pic weather you want them to or not please for the lov of god knock it off with theases half ass attempts. sorry damn, think man
[/quote
I can not not say that, this pic post saftey solution is your downfall, if you would just post words i will never see it. and you can have at it, I don't read long posts. thease pic things you do are another ballgame I see them, if they have glaring error I must comment! please just keep it to words, alot of words and we are good. I do not dislike you, I just can not ignore you. Damn, I wish you better luck in the future. guess who

Protos
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Protos » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:23 am

Rick, is fokiten an ex-wife of yours or something?

Damn, he's got it in for you.

Don't let it get you down.

zbose
Medium Poster

Postby zbose » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:56 am

On 2002-11-21 20:26, fokiten wrote:
I would prefer that he doesn't "knock it off." I enjoy his posts and I see nothing wrong with his setup here. Qline will NOT cut through the webbing, I have been running my kites with q pig tails for ever. As for circumventing the bridal/pulleys, who cares, this is just to give people ideas. I am taking his idea and changing it a bit to suit my own needs... which I believe was his intention.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:09 am

Color coding my lines and staying focused while rigging works for me. Make sure lines run from bar to kite without tangles and to the proper corners before takeoff. Easy.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:13 am

if you use Q-powerline for pigtails, it will wear through the webbing prematurely. Q- line is really abrasive.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:22 am

Interesting to hear a second opinion on the Q. I checked my kites for wear after reading that and they still seem to be fine. How soon is "prematurely?" I run the Q pig tails because slingshots stock pig tails seem to like to break on me.

-zbose

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:31 am

I try to change my flight lines once a year or more frequently. Otherwise they seem to break while I am out. I try to change the pigtails more frequently. Although lately I have been going with the 1/8 inch nylon for pigtails that seems to be a bit more durable. It also has a tensile strength rating over 600 lbs.

If I don't change out the factory supplied pigtails within four months or so they seem to break. That is using both Dyneema and Q Line exclusively with different kite and bar setups. I have had Q line pigtails on two kites for about a year with no problems. If in doubt, put a loop of 1/8" nylon line between the Q Line and the nylon webbing. Like I said this whole thing is a discussion piece and not an end in itself as depicted. It is good we are talking.

Rick Iossi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2002-11-22 02:31 ]</font>

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:31 am

.....in an effort to shed some light on all of this fun....

Nice clean carpet you have there Rick! :wink:

I know a good tile contractor(me!!Image)if'n ya ever wish to change the carpet out for something more durable. But yer carpet looks nice just the same.

ImageImageImageImage

Oh...just a reminder...You said you were going to email me....I never heard from you about the helmet thing.

Pea's Out!
Johnny

Return to “Kitesurfing”