All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:15 am 
Rare Poster

My Naish 9.0 AR 3.5 is frustrating me. A while back I experienced a twisted leading edge bladder. No sweat, take it out and put it back in nicely. Done. Within 3 launches, the twist was back. Okay, I mustn't have done it right. Take it out again, put it back, sweeeeeet. Nup, wrong. 2 flights later, twisted.

So, I took it to a guy who cut the ends off (it was originally a two line cut, now four) and we reseated the bladder again.

Took it out for it's maiden flight yesterday (Tuesday) and the valve has again been sucked back into the leading edge due to.......yep, you guessed it, a twisted bladder.

So, my question is this. WTF???? How can I reseat this bloody thing so I don't have to waste time reseating the bladder all the time whilst the rest of the kiters are out boosting.

Please don't tell me to get another kite because that is out of my monetary league.

Anybody in Perth, WA, able to help me???

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:19 am 
Frequent Poster

have you used talcum powder when putting the bladder back in?

Shane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:44 am 
Just make sure the bladder goes in straight. When you first pump it up, do it slowly and stop a few times to make sure the bladder inside is as straight as possible. One way is to sticky tape part of a sailboard batten to the end so you can feed it through straight.

Next, make sure when you pump up that the kite is rolled out flat, and not folding in the middle as you pump. This will cause the bladder to stretch inside and double up in certain areas.

And use talcum powder so it can moove freely and seat down in it's propoer position easily.

Once you get it in right, and take care pumping and packing away so it doesn't fold with air inside - it should be fine for a long while. Unless the bladder has stretched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:00 am 
Rare Poster

I actually used too much talcum powder and had deposits. Gone now, though.

When I pump it up on the beach, I stand with the wind behind me and grasp the valve in one hand coupled with the pump inside it and pump with the other hand. Admittedly, the ends flap around a little.

If the bladder has stretched (and that is a possibility as it was twisted before and I was so pissed off with it that I just kept pumping it anyway and flew it twisted) does that mean that a new bladder is required?

I rang a mate in Fremantle and he's going to have a look at it today for me but please please keep the help coming. If anything, I can pass this on to anyone else who may experience this in the area I kite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:13 am 
Very Frequent Poster

also be careful how you roll it up. if you roll up the tips tight while forcing air out of the leading edge bladder it will have a tendency to twist. get most of the air out of the leading edge first and then instead of a tight roll, use 1-2 foot folds instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:21 am 
Frequent Poster

After you've put the bladder in straight, and pumped it up making sure it's straight while pumping up, hose the whole kite down, to wet and get rid of the talcom powder, so the bladder sticks and doesn't shift.

[ 6 posts ]