Kite Holiday Australia/New Zealand

Forum for kitesurfers
den140
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby den140 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:06 am

Hi All,

I'm a Sydneysider and want to go on a week or two kiting holiday. Beginner/Intermediate level, flat water, 12-18kts side shore wind. North NSW, South Queensland or North New Zealand.

Any ideas?

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:38 am

Hi Den

In Auckland where I live there is plenty of kitesurf spots that are not crowded and hence great for beginners. The spot that will get the El nino summer westerlies here is cross-onshore, flat, shallow and not crowded. If you have a smallkite then bring it as it may be over 18 knots quite often... A great learning spot free of crowds....

BLOWN AWAY

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:56 pm

which will be more consistent in December, Auckland and surrounding area or east coast around Sydney.

thanks

Dr Surf Australia
Medium Poster

Postby Dr Surf Australia » Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:23 pm

On 2002-11-22 12:56, Anonymous wrote:
which will be more consistent in December, Auckland and surrounding area or east coast around Sydney.

thanks
Jervis Bay, 2.5 hrs South of Sydney, (my home beach.)

Dave (Dr Surf Australia Ph. 02 4443 7665)

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:35 pm

Dr surf
Are there quite a few different spots in and around Jervis Bay? How does it compare to Forster I heard that was real good? Is the wind more consistent than close to Sydney, and still thermal driven in summer time?

thanks
Bill

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:01 pm

Tauranga New Zealand, 15 Kts cross on, choice of flat water or surf both with great launcing areas and not to overpopulated with other kitesurfers.
John

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:01 pm

Summers in Auckland usually aren't that great for kitesurfing. You need a pretty big kite. Usually we are dominated by high pressure, settled weather during the summer and hence have pitiful winds waiting for the seabreeze.... Winter is where it's at here and early spring... blows it's A hole off from the west...

But this summer El Nino should keep that westerly pattern going for us....

Don't know about Aussie but I've heard great things about the West Coast (perth etc).

BLOWN AWAY

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:06 pm

As I write this it's a cloudless sky and a light SSE.... Someone upstairs must have heard that I'm on the brink of getting an 8m AERO......... Very UN El Ninoish!!

BLOWN AWAY

Dr Surf Australia
Medium Poster

Postby Dr Surf Australia » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:31 pm

On 2002-11-24 17:35, Anonymous wrote:
Dr surf
Are there quite a few different spots in and around Jervis Bay? How does it compare to Forster I heard that was real good? Is the wind more consistent than close to Sydney, and still thermal driven in summer time?

thanks
Bill
Hi Bill.

The wind around the Jervis Bay region is very good in comparison to many other areas on the NSW coast. We have many beaches and waterways facing different wind directions so there is usually somewhere not too far to kite from.

I think we generally have more wind more often than Forster partly because of some of the geographical effects on the wind in this area. We also have plenty of space and no crowds, (yet). The wind is thermally driven in the summer time much like the rest of the coast, it just gets a bit stronger here and tends not to be gusty.

You can go to my webpage, (always unfinished sigh), at http://www.machelp.com.au/drsurf.html and download the map from the map link. It's a pdf map and info sheet detailing some of the best places to kite. There are more to explore though!

Contact me if you are interested in coming down and I'll make sure you enjoy yourself. We also have holiday houses available right on the water as well at http://www.machelp.com.au/cottages.html

Have fun, Dave (Dr Surf Australia Ph. 02 4443 7665)

windy oz
Rare Poster

Postby windy oz » Fri Nov 29, 2002 3:15 am

Hi if you are heading north try Noosa HerveyBay or Bundy (Elliot Hdt) all have good flat water and good winds in summer.

Return to “Kitesurfing”