All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:59 am 
Medium Poster

Yes! I got a go for a 2 weeks trip to Aruba at end February next year.

Any tips, internet links, experience, recommendations?

Can't wait!
Cheers,
j.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:53 pm 
I went two years ago for windsurfing (anyone remember that?). The main area for windsurfing and kitesufing is near the fisherman huts. The water is fairly shallow for about 200ft out. But the most important thing is that the winds are "off-shore". As long as you can stay upwind you should be OK. I also heard that they were limiting kitesurfing to the morning, and windsurfing only in the afternoon. This rule may have changed or may be applicable to beginners taking lessons only. Your best bet is to email Dasher at Vela Aruba and ask him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:21 am 
Medium Poster

Thanks! Can you p.m. me his email address?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:38 pm 
Rare Poster

Yes, I live in Aruba. If you need any info e-mail me at arends@setarnet.aw
Around the fishermanshuts it's allowed to kite in the morning till 10:00 and from 5:00 to dark. It is ofshore winds but you can check with armando ( he gives kite lessons at the huts) he can keep an eye on you. If you need any rescue they have a fixed rate for rescue. I think it's $20 but it's worth it. If you have to swim back it will take you more than one hour. But if you can stay upwind it no problem. On the other side of the island there is a place called boca grandi. That's the best place to kitesurf in Aruba. Constant wind with waves coming in. also onshore winds. It's like a skatepark. It has small chops big chops long waves flat spots. everything. When I go there i stay out for no less than four to five hours in the water. You won't get bored from that place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:46 pm 
Rare Poster

by the way. In Februari you have to bring some small kite's. This year in Februari we were using kites like airblast 6.3 mach1 9.1 and cabrinha 7.0 fully powered up. And for light days we were using kites around 12m flat area.
Right now in Aruba the wind sucks. We need to use our big kites. Mach 15 Takoon 10.5 and airblast 11.6. Now and then we get a good day. Like two days ago we took out the small kites again. But today it's the big kites again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:31 pm 
Medium Poster

Definately get in touch with Armando Wester, he is a great guy, has tons of gear (if you dont have something he can hook you up)& most importantly is the only rescue guy for kiters (offshore wind @ fisherman's hut)give him a call at 661-515 or 865-025 or drop him a line at kitesurfingaruba@hotmail.com

[ 6 posts ]