All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:33 pm 
You can keep it at the zenith as long as you are not over powered. If you are too powered then you should try Jo Mac's technique and fly the kite to the edge of the window while you are getting your feet in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Don't know about you guys but I allways keep my kite at Zenith. In 20 knots my X2 doesn't fall even in the lulls (and lulls are rare in 20 knots :smile: ). It may be safer for a beginner to do it the other way but I allways use the Zenith method.

BLOWN AWAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:55 pm 
Medium Poster

common problem with luffing at startup is beginners sitting down too fast in the water when they want to put the board on. It forces the kite more overhead and it then luffs. Very small sining of the kite at zenith just after plopping down solves the problem.

Other error I see regularly is trying to hold the board fully edged while swooping kite. Point board downwind for 1-2m to get onto the plane and then edge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:08 am 
Rare Poster

Blow Me
Did you say you kite in Perth as in Western Australia? If so, where do you kite? I'm sure if you hooked up with me one afternoon (like today) we could go out and have some fun.

Starting is hard to get used to but in the last two weeks my self-learning curve has accelerated tenfold to the point where I now jump whereas two weeks ago, I was still walking up the beach.

Let me know if you're in WA and I'll send you my email address.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:39 am 
Rare Poster

Two quick thoughts on getting up and going, from a 2002 newbie:
1) I think you can learn a lot about popping up on a kiteboard by practicing for a half-hour behind a ski boat. You may have to rent the boat-time, but after you quickly practice 30 or more starts at different speeds, in the space of a half-hour, the board part of the equation will make more sense.
2) One particular trouble I had for awhile was getting my edge to catch when dropping the kite into the power zone -- I had trouble pointing my board in the direction I wanted to go. What's worked for me is to actually start the kite dropping in the "wrong" direction -- my body shifts to face that way -- then I drop the kite on the preferred side, in the direction that I really intended to go. Works nicely to avoid that snowplow effect when the board wants to be perpendicular to the direction you want to be traveling.

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

you may also spend half an hour in the drink, without your kite, just to practice getting the board with one hand, and introducing your feet in the straps while keeping your other hand in your back. once you can do it easily, get the kite back.
As mentionned above, practicing water start behind a boat or at a cableski can help.
enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:06 am 
Quote:
On 2002-11-25 11:57, murdoc wrote:
everything's hard in the beginning.

i teach it this way:
compare your situation to eating while driving your car.
some sauce on your shirt is ugly, but a crashed car is worse.
the kite's the car and the board's the falaffel.

so keep your mind on the kite.
and keep your board 90° to the lines, so the kite can't twist you.
5 tries with the kite overhead and problems on the board-handling are better than dropping the kite once :wink:

once you're in, get your ass to your heels and don't be too gentle with the kite ... get the bar a good yank and off you go...

Murdoc, your a friggin poet. "and the boards the falaffal,and sauce on your shirt." geneious! thats it blow me!

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2