Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ditch the Leash - or maybe knot, or a key ring - confused ?

Forum for kitesurfers
EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:29 pm

right, dithching the leash - good idea, but,
if you diconnect one end and put a key ring ring on, it'll pull open before the board hits you, this way you only lose the board on higher stress situations and not be chasing your board every time you come off your plane.

tried and tested this weekend - so far it worked, came apart and I was fine.

opinions ?

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:15 pm

yeh but what about that piece of bent steel springing back to your head at warp speed.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:18 pm

Hello Ron,

I was wondering about setting up a weak link of some sort. I guess the key chain serves that purpose. The thing that threw me off the weak link idea, at least using fishing line, was that in theory anyway, you could drop your board while in mid jump and have it slam into you once you hit the water impact with the water. In might be hard to select a useful weak link that would yield at so low a pressure. What sort of key chain did you use?

Rick Iossi

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:09 pm

My reel leashes have so far always broken (under too much load) before the board could hit me.....

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:21 am

Use a plastic zip tie. Or two if you want more resistance.

PS I must give credit to kevin in annapolis for the idea.

Djizasse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Djizasse » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:36 pm

Imagine a fishing pole, now take that "thing" where the line is "stored", place it in your harness with a special support, exchange the nylon line with a strong kiting line, connect the end of the line to your board.
And there you have it, no more board hits, the board will fall back from you and as you're going downind in the middle of that "oh sh*t" air, the line will start to unwind from the "thing". When you crash on the water, the board will be 10m (depending on line lenght) back from you, just start winding the line and the board will come.

Is this doable? Would it work?

My english vocabulary is lacking a few thousand words...

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:55 pm

hi all and Rick,

Rick, I tested this and it works for me. I used a ring 1 inch in diameter off a normal keyfob. Worked a treat.

Simon - only problem I envisaged was that piece of wire hanging around but as soon as you realise its gone - take it off.

otherwise do what I did last weekend and use a cable tidy. you can get different sizes of em too, I'm gonna hang off a few tonight and see which ones are best.

whoever gets the credit for the idea ? who gives a toss as long as it works!

hang your jackets up !

Ron.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:49 pm

i used a surf-laesh which was knodded.
on the first _real_ yank, the knot broke.
so i knodded it myself, using about 2m of 4mm rope (just did a knot with the leash and wind the rope around the whole thing).
it lasted very good, when the pull got too hard, it slipped apart and i had two minutes of work putting it back together.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:59 pm

I don't get it
why trying to invent something when the solution is so simple. Just forget about the leash !

fishing rope, knots in your leash, all bullshit. I kitesurf on the north sea, waves current and so on, never lost my board, just practise going upwind with your kite without you board, and you will get your board. So with all this leashes that will break under a certain force, you still have to swim for your board, so what's the difference ?

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:08 pm

Mr Anon - the difference is that you are probably a fantastic kitesurfer with unrivald skills in upwind body dragging and of course could never loose your board even in hurricane matilda BUT, i keep losing my board and have to fight 15 ft waves to go and get it again. every time my friggin board comes off my feet, SO, the point of my heath robinson ideas is to not gwet too knackered and keep my kitesurfin - surfinas opposed to walking against the waves.

sorry if my tone is abrupt but I'm on too many coffees this mornin. Lavazza qualitata d'oro - so be ware.

hang your jackets up.

Ron.

Return to “Kitesurfing”