Used my new 7m Hydro at the weekend for the first time. I had bought it kite only, as I already had a Wipika Carbon bar (small size) and 30m lines. The session turned in to a bit of a kitemare. I had set the lines up as all lenghs equal when bar pulled for max power, but this was no good when the kite was launched, it just kept reversing back in the window and crashing. So lengthened the back lines for less tension but it just flew like a paper bag (as you would expect). Kept adjusting the settings but could not get anything were it would fly in a controlled manner. It seemed that the kite was either full power or else uncontrollable with the bar pushed forward. The wind was a bit gusty but the other riders on ABs, Rhinos, etc were ok. I have noticed that in the manual it talks about 20m lines, so I will adjust mine, but I would not of thought that it would have made that much difference. I normally ride Skoops so I expected it to handle differently but this was crazy. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
I use 30 m lines with my 8.9 and 13 Hydros and this is the way I set my bar: connect the lines to a fixed point,loose all the depower rope and hook in the chicken loop or snap shackle. When you pull the bar to the max you'll see front lines a little curved while back ones are straight. That's it!
Thank you for the information people. The kite did arrive with pig tails of equal lengh on all corners, I have got some spare longer ones so will change these for the front ones, I presume this will put more tension on the brake lines. I had set the bar and lines up as mentioned here, there were slight dicrepencies in line lengh, but not enough that I thought it would have affected the flight too much. I will adjust them exactly the same at the weekend. And try again. As my wife has pointed out to me, this is her kite, not mine!!!