Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to jump on big kites

forum for kitesurfers

Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hernan » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:30 pm

I ve been out with my X2 20 4 times, I like how fast it is for its size but found difficult to jump high with it. Timming is different and at best I made floty long jumps but not high.
Any advise? Where do you start the upstroke, higher or lower? What is best, boardspeed or upwind angle?

Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:36 pm

I have a 20m AERO which is even slower than the 20m X2..... I don't move the kite at all... I just wait until I've got heaps of verticial pull from the kite and pop my board.. with out moving the kite...

Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:36 am

you can't jump as high as with a 12m kite, that's for sure.

-don't take the upsroke too far behind you and

-pop the board as hard as you can.

-and don't load the edge as hard as possible, when not powered enough.

-be as agressive with the kite steering as possible ...

Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:50 am

Murdoc is right - you can't pop as high with the biggest kites, even when fully powered.

There is one thing more you can do though - that can help a lot, and increases the "pop":
Use short lines !

With really short lines on the monster kites, you get the pop and feeling back - like you are used to on your smaller kites.

Only problem is, that you cut your low end performance totally away !
You need really long lines to sinus in too light wind with the big ones - but then you loses your pop.

When I had monster kite sizes - I had two different line length setups, so I could choose according to the wind on a particular day.
About 24 meter and 34 meter total bar-kite length, I think.

Generally, you get lower jumps - but huge hangtime, with monster kites, as said ealier.
This can be quite amazing - you can do double and triple spins without getting very high - you will just "hang around" very low over the water !
Kindly - Peter Frank

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter_Frank on 2002-11-26 00:54 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”