All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:45 am 
I have been using LEI's but I must say that the Psycho has perked my interest. I love the idea of taking a kite out of the bag, giving it a couple of shakes and launching it. I also believe that because of the lighter weight, it will perform better in light air conditions. I also like that it should survive crashes better with no damaged bladders. Here's what we don't know:

how easy to re-launch if it goes down in the water?

how quickly do you have to get it up again before it fills with water? Does it fill with water?

how does it perform compared to LEI?

Why are there so many more LEI's than RAM airs on the water if Psycho is so good?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:36 am 
Frequent Poster

Dont be fooled by the misconception that hard crashes will not damage your foil. Talking to a local kite doctor he has had to fix a few Warriors after they have been crashed full tilt into the water/ground. One was soo bad that it burst all the internal diaphams. All kites have a chance of blowing up if crashed hard enough

Treat all kites with luv and respect but turn ya back on them and the bitches will bite you.

Have fun with you kites

shane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

sure they pop like everything else, but consider this option.

he knows which side his repair bread is buttered on. :wink:

the psychio is a brand new design.
flysurfer don't do much advertising.
they don't have a real pro team.
they don't waste your money on marketting campaigns.

unless you totally stuff it into the water it will pop right up.

they will handle ten minutes just sitting there in the water no problems.
performance wise they are similar to lei, but with much greater hangtime for any given height of jump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

i like the way flysurfer works very much:

when they brought out the sppedair, i used to have one.
during the season, some changes were made to the kite (forceless depower, no more tangling pulleys in the bridle and some other) flysurfer made all these changes availlable for speedair-owners for the price, they paid for it .
some parts were free, too.

flysurfer uses the best materials availlable on the market.
i'd say you got about 15-20 minutes to relaunch a dropped kite (in choppy/flat water).
they may blast if crashed with full force, but are more stable than tubekites.

you can self-launch them and self land them without problem.

contras:
the water-relaunchabilitiy is in 95% of all cases very very easy, but in the remaining 5%, you gotta swim to the kite to untangle something.

the safety system has a lot of remaining drag when overpowered.

the psycho's a high performance kite, so the low-end's not too much fun. i'd need around 8kts steady wind to get going, but here in germany you'll never ind 8kts staedy wind - so around 10 is low end for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:34 pm 
Quote:
On 2002-11-26 10:48, sq225917 wrote:

performance wise they are similar to lei, but with much greater hangtime for any given height of jump

I second that, and add, that the longest I have had relaunching a Psycho from the water so far is under 1 minute. Normally it is between 10 - 20 seconds when leadnig edge down, instantly when leading edge up, or on the side.

In light winds there is a chance of gettig tangles when the kite goes down, but they usually pop right out with some bar pumping.

Then there is the rare full twist though its own bridals front collapse, which has happened to me twice in 2 months. Once with the 12.5 and once with the 15.5. This requires landing, untangling (easy enough) and then back out. On the 12.5 it happened after a small jump in low winds 11-12 knots (who can resist when you can build up so much speed in such low wind conditions :grin:). Did not bring the kite back, i.e. about 11 oclock, lines slacked, no time to react, oops collapse twist! But still flies!!! Yes it is true. You have to keep a lot more preassuer on the bar, as any depower will make the kite want to collapse again and again. This was the first time it happened, and I was baffled. So I came in (yes you can stil control your direction and get back to the beach), landed and examined, and saw what had happened. 10 minutes later (as I said it was the first time) I was out again, happy as a kiter.

Anyway - I know why this happens, or at least in which situations. Low wind conditions - i.e. lower limits for kite size, gusty (i.e. a few knots up and down occasionally), and kite overhead (on beach), or slightly behind onself (after jump) - AND, not actively controlling the gusts. It has not happened to me in stronger conditions, i.e. over 14 knots with the 12.5, even though I do spill the kite occasionally, and in 18 + conditions, I am quite convinced that unless you fly the thing straight down, there is (almost) no way it can go into the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
On 2002-11-26 10:48, sq225917 wrote:

I second that, and add, that the longest I have had relaunching a Psycho from the water so far is under 1 minute. Normally it is between 10 - 20 seconds when leadnig edge down, instantly when leading edge up, or on the side.

In light winds there is a chance of gettig tangles when the kite goes down, but they usually pop right out with some bar pumping.

Then there is the rare full twist though its own bridals front collapse, which has happened to me twice in 2 months. Once with the 12.5 and once with the 15.5. This requires landing, untangling (easy enough) and then back out. On the 12.5 it happened after a small jump in low winds 11-12 knots (who can resist when you can build up so much speed in such low wind conditions :grin:). Did not bring the kite back, i.e. about 11 oclock, lines slacked, no time to react, oops collapse twist! But still flies!!! Yes it is true. You have to keep a lot more preassuer on the bar, as any depower will make the kite want to collapse again and again. This was the first time it happened, and I was baffled. So I came in (yes you can stil control your direction and get back to the beach), landed and examined, and saw what had happened. 10 minutes later (as I said it was the first time) I was out again, happy as a kiter.

Anyway - I know why this happens, or at least in which situations. Low wind conditions - i.e. lower limits for kite size, gusty (i.e. a few knots up and down occasionally), and kite overhead (on beach), or slightly behind onself (after jump) - AND, not actively controlling the gusts. It has not happened to me in stronger conditions, i.e. over 14 knots with the 12.5, even though I do spill the kite occasionally, and in 18 + conditions, I am quite convinced that unless you fly the thing straight down, there is (almost) no way it can go into the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi Big Smelly,
I've noticed that on the mastair a good way of stopping the tip folding through the bridle is
if you catch it as it begins: pull down hard on the bar to straighten the kite out and get it flying again, in lightwind if poss holding the depower on the bar, it'll just take off again

Also pulling down on the opposite side of the bar to the tip that's folding will straighten the folding tip

if it's already rolling into the bridle don't try to power it up or it'll be worse, just let go of the bar and let the leash sort it out (works with the mastair because the kite balls up on the leash, don't know about the psycho if it stays straight and just backs down but that sounds like the leash isn't depowering the kite enough imo), as it drifts down on the leash, in light wind grab the depower, hold it on the bar and tug down hard on the bar to straighten the kite out and relaunch before the kite touches down

These two methods will sort most bridle tangles out, when the kite balls up on the leash the bridles will slip off the tips most times. If they don't try tugging the leash as the kite comes down

In stronger wind like you said it shouldn't happen anyway

Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:12 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

yeh i concur with jo their.

pull on the opposite side of the bar to the folding tip to flatten it out and don't land your jumps fully depowered.

also for better jumping on the psycho's power the kite up to increase speed before depowering it as you swing it up, and bear upwind as you depower prior to slapping the power on for the jump.

i've found this is especially good in marginal winds. picks up nice board speed and adds a couple of feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:24 pm 
I have also been recentlty tempted by the psycho away from my Mach 1`s. The thing that has so far put me off the instability during jumps. I have been told by an experienced foil kiter / paraglider who has recently moved to tubes that they can collapse in the air if not redirected perfectly. Also in lower winds at the edge of the window they become lazy to turn. Is this true and if so what is the remedy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:29 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Yup, I can see how what you are both saying would be right on. I used to paraglide before kites, and collapses were common as well, but when you are hanging from 1000 feet, your senses seem to be more on edge, plus after a while it becomes second nature to feel, register and respond to collapses in an instant. I am sure that the same will apply with experience on the Psycho. Thanks for tips, its always good to hear them from others, they stick better in your mind that way...

SQ, you mentioned jumping. Yup, I definately noticed what you mentioned, but the past 2 weekend has been too weak for using it in low winds. What I especially noticed, is the last second up wind pointing of the board, effectively digging in the rail deeper, at a point where resistance to the pull of the kite is building fast - creating crazy POP :grin:. When it is timed right, it is an unbelievable feeling :grin:

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next