All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

What do you personally think of jellyfishing ?

I've spoken with a guy who could not fly with a kite that jellyfished - he said it did not perform at all.

And others says, that it is only cosmetic.

I have flown with lots of kites jellyfishing - the Airblast 10.0 and all Cabrinha Black Tips 2001.

But I don't mind !!!
I can feel absolutely no performance difference whether I use a "rigid" kite, or a wobbly one - and I am not disturbed by it either.

But what do you say - those of you who has ridden with jellyfishing kites ?

I think it is a mentally thing only - if you believe jellyfishing is bad, then it won't work for you, and the other way around...

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:42 pm 
hi peter, my 01 ab had a slow leek in the le, and used to j-fish like a mother I mostly do not look at my kite, and the only time i noticed it j-fishing is when i happened to look at it, as far as i know,I was unable to tell a difference. IMO the same gear freaks that chatted up wind-srf crapola, now freak up nothing for the sake of sounding important. I used to lov blowin bye um on thier phat hy tech newest, with my dialed right sized rig,and my rye smile.
You got it right
letum fret and muddle in woe,keeps the used gear market stocked!! f-m e.fokiten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:46 pm 
jellyfishing?? Isn't that from spongebob squarepants?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

After using an X2 I will never go back to another jellyfishing. The X2 doesn't jellyfish and as a result performs great.... Used an 8.4 Airblast 2001 and like the kite apart from the jellyfishing.....

BLOWN AWAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:57 am 
Frequent Poster

at the kites top end jellyfishing changes the projected area of the kite resulting in unsteady power, on/off power if you like... it can be reduced a lot by using 30m lines instead of the 20m that comes with AB's, and kiting with a directional makes the kite jellyfish less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:21 am 
Medium Poster

coincidence---with 2001 16.4 AB and directional seems to work OK, but someone wrote yesterday, that they didn't notice the JF until looking at the kite, same for me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the future~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jelly-fishing action will help performance.
The undulating rythmic cadence will power articulating wingtips and add propulsion and lift to the "kite of the future"
The JFing combined with a porpoising flight path will enable the kiteflysurfer with proper timing to break the 33.33m hight barrier.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xid3d on 2002-11-27 05:22 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:25 am 
Depends on the jellyfishing... The X2 wobbles a little, but usually it is just the tips opening and closing as you sheet in and out.

I used to have an old AR5 7.5 that was impossible to sail with in strong wind because of jellyfishing. In this case the centre of the leading edge lurched forward and backward so the kite surged with power. I can use the 10mX2 comfortably in MUCH more wind than I could ever use the jellyfishing 7.5 AR5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:42 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Ahh yes the nice gentle AR5 7.5......

<span style = "font-size:50pt">NOT!!!</span>

I had one with a slow leak and it would do the full jelly flop, close right up fall out of the sky and open up again... smack bang in the power zone... this was in 25 knots....

yikes!!

BLOWN AWAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:13 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
On 2002-11-27 04:57, aklbob wrote:
at the kites top end jellyfishing changes the projected area of the kite resulting in unsteady power, on/off power if you like... it can be reduced a lot by using 30m lines instead of the 20m that comes with AB's, and kiting with a directional makes the kite jellyfish less.

I don't buy that one !

The projected area will not change (at least almost nothing - because the tips does not contribute to lift) - so you won't get unsteady lift because of this.

But it is still not known, whether the lift or performance will suffer, or not - for other reasons.

And the wobble over the front tube (like some of you have noticed on "soft" AR5's) can be quite destructive yes, but this is not the jellyfishing we are talking about.

Some X2's, and AB's and Black Tips are wobbling cleaner, and not that much, without the front tube problem.

Besides, I am sure that line length and board has nothing to do with jellyfishing or not.

I've noticed that on one day it can be totally "stiff" in the air, all day - and another day, the same kite/board will jellyfish...
This is due to small wind fluctuations (unsteady wind), and also small chop that lifts your board up and down in a rhytmic way. Small things you can not control (but if you change board and lines, you might change the period - so you either get more or less wobble, on THAT particular day)

Hmmm - it seems that noone can say for sure they have noticed that it changes performance...
Its all "talk" - if you are convinced it will - it will.
If you don't care - it won't ! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter_Frank on 2002-11-27 10:17 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:33 am 
Very Frequent Poster

PS: aklbob, I don't say your observations are wrong - just that it is purely coincidence with your specific conditions !

It took a while until I figured it out myself - but we have so varying conditions right here, so there is a pattern - you can not predict.

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next